wiring a skiff

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by firecat1981, Aug 17, 2009.

1. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

does anyone know a site with lots of pics on how to wire a skiff. I've seen several on bigger boats but that doesn't help me. I'm going to make my own switch panel and was looking for some good pics with ideas.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://books.google.com/books?id=hBI87YlgzdoC&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12&dq=small+boat+electrical+diagram&source=bl&ots=Xo08Ke5IQk&sig=nEHgb25bFVAkzo-LEJgVwQYaQLs&hl=en&ei=6N6JSprkJMrPlAe-wp3mCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#v=onepage&q=small%20boat%20electrical%20diagram&f=false

http://easyacdc.com/

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=small+boat+wiring&btnG=Search+images&biw=1360&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

:eek:

3. firecat1981

ok so here is what I've come up with and I think it will fit my needs well.

from the battery I'll run a positive wire (8 ga maybe?) to a fuse block I just picked up.
    [​IMG]

from the block I'll run the positive wires (12 ga ?)to the item to be powered (ie. bilge, livewell, lights...)

Then the negative wire from the item being powered will go to the positive side of the switch.

From the switches I'll run a negative wire to one side of my battery shut-off switch.
    [​IMG]

Then from the other side I'll run another 8ga wire back to the negetive terminal on the battery.

sound good?

I'll be making my switch panel next week sometime I think.

4. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

Battery Pos to Battery shut off switch.
    Battery shut off switch to fuse block.
    Fuse block to switches.
    Switches to items to be powered.
    Item powered to Neg side of battery.

8 to 12 AWG from battery to to shut off to Fuse block
    16 to 20 AGW from fuse block to switches to items to Neg battery side.

5. firecat1981

thanks tom,

I was hoping to aviod running all the small wires back up front but I guess thats how it will have to be.

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Single wire negative ground from battery to multi-terminal buss bar.
    No multiple wires back to battery.

7. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

8. Geoff_Arias

Geoff_Arias I Love microskiff.com!

Im looking to rewire my skiff soon as well (over christmas break). I can follow a diagram if someone can help me draw one up. Ill have running lights, livewell, and bilge pump. 1 Battery to start motor and run the accs. It may not be as easy as I make it sound. If anyone can help me please IM me your number. Again, Im just needed help with the diagram.

9. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Basic diagram below

10. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Even simpler diagram
    can be used with 1 or 2 batteries

11. Geoff_Arias

Brett,
    you have been of great help. That is exactly what I was looking for. I saw those on google but wanted to make sure with someone who knows a little more that they were correct diagrams. I appreciate your help. One more question
    How do I determine what gauge wire to use? I know length has something to do with it but its a skiff. Longest wire being replaced will be the bilge and livewell one and thats like 7-10 ft at the most. Battery is stored right next to fuse box and evertyhing in the console. Also, do you recommend a battery switch even if I am only using one battery? I don't really see a need for one if I only have 1 battery. Thanks

12. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I like an isolator switch or a breaker switch between the battery and the panel.
    But you can simply disconnect the cables from the battery between trips.
    Another simple diagram

Remember to use tinned marine wire to slow corrosion.
    Sold at most marine hardware stores and on line.

http://tinnedmarinewire.com/

13. Geoff_Arias

Ok, Im assuming that breaking the current will help extend the life of my batteries? With those three diagrams I think I am set. I will be doing the rewire and steering fix over the break. Last question, I noticed that the diagrams did not have a the switch box and fuse box seperate. If I were to do it seperate I am assuming that I would put the swiches in between the fuse box and the acc? O never mind it looks like the second diagram has it.

Thanks again for all your help Brett.

14. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Disconnecting the battery between trips is done for three reasons.
    #1...safety, don't want an electrical fire to happen when you're not there.
    #2...to make sure you don't drain the battery by leaving an open circuit
    #3...slow down corrosion of electrical parts. Dissimilar metals
    in the circuits will eat at each other. (search Galvanic Corrosion)

Oh, one more thing, wing nuts are not allowed on any battery installation on this site. ;)

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1244640776

15. Geoff_Arias

Thanks. Ill make sure to avoid those wingnuts. Thanks for all your help Brett. Ill be taking pictures of the whole process. Its going to be a small project. Im gunna take off the center console and cut the seat off the front and fiberglass it smooth. A cooler in front of the console will suffice as a seat and save a great amount of much needed space. I will rewire the boat and fix the steering.