Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody! I just started fishing a 6 wt for redfish, which I use a Scientific Angler's Grand Slam Line. With winter approaching, I have tried to find a cold water redfish line for my 6 wt Sage Method. It appears that Rio and SA do not produce their winter redfish lines in 6 wt. But, one of them produces a 7. I am thinking I can get away with the 7, which over-lines it, but it might be okay since the Method has such a fast tip. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good 6 wt winter redfish line or any comments about up-lining to a 7 wt line? Thanks!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,511 Posts
I actually prefer a bonefish line for winter reds...mainly because I'm throwing smaller flies to spookier fish on skinnier tides. It requires more finesse. The SA Mastery Bonefish matches great with my Sage ONE 6wt.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I use the SA mastery MPX for my 6wt Hardy Zephrus SWS and like it a lot. It's a fast action so the heavier line helps load the rod for me. I would imagine the method would be about the same.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I actually prefer a bonefish line for winter reds...mainly because I'm throwing smaller flies to spookier fish on skinnier tides. It requires more finesse. The SA Mastery Bonefish matches great with my Sage ONE 6wt.
You don't have issues with coiling/memory using their bonefish line in the winter? I had some problems but maybe its just colder where I fish.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,511 Posts
I don't think you'll find a coil free, memory free winter red fish line. Just gotta stretch it and remember the water is generally warmer than the air is. So throw a few casts out and let it soak and water haul a few times to get the kinks out...

G

·
I don't think you'll find a coil free, memory free winter red fish line. Just gotta stretch it and remember the water is generally warmer than the air is. So throw a few casts out and let it soak and water haul a few times to get the kinks out...
100% for our area (you are in TB like me, I believe)

“coldwater” lines are designed for throwing large flies, in murky water at short distances in actual cold weather. They are really made for Louisiana, Carolina etc.

In Florida, in the “winter” we are throwing small flies in crystal clear water.

also, we usually aren’t on the water first thing when it’s really cold. Sometimes I am not on the water until 11ish on cold days and by then it’s warmed up.

No idea what the cut off for “coldwater” lines are, but when the water is in the 50s (which is what I consider cold) it’s too cold for me around here usually :)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
63 Posts
I went through the same search a year or two ago. I’m in Charleston, SC so it definitely gets to cold for the bonefish lines. I’ve used that Orvis Hydros Saltwater All Rounder and have had good results. It doesn’t coil to much in cold weather.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,528 Posts
SA Frequency Boost 6wt. It is a "trout" line but half weight heavy with a short front taper for turning over big streamers. Will be just fine for winter reds on your 6wt. Bonus is that it is only $50 per spool. Honestly, I don't switch to winter or cold water lines for fishing coastal Texas waters. Hot or cold outside, I spend a few moments stretching the line before I start casting. Once I find a line that I like and works well with my rod, I fish it.

·
Registered
G3 16 CCJ
108 Posts
+1 on the Orvis Salt Water All-Rounder—non-tropical version—which I used on my #6 Method last winter. It worked great here in Homosassa (central Florida, Gulf Coast). Orvis Bank Shot also works here in the winter but it’s more suited for slinging larger flies than laying down smaller flies around spooky fish.

·
Registered
391 Posts
SA Frequency Boost 6wt. It is a "trout" line but half weight heavy with a short front taper for turning over big streamers. Will be just fine for winter reds on your 6wt. Bonus is that it is only $50 per spool. Honestly, I don't switch to winter or cold water lines for fishing coastal Texas waters. Hot or cold outside, I spend a few moments stretching the line before I start casting. Once I find a line that I like and works well with my rod, I fish it.
I better never let you talk to my wife...its a must that I have 12+ different rods/reels/line set ups to fish the same water, because you know....fishing!

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
Here in Tampa Bay our reds are so spooky that I plan on sticking with the Monic Henley clear through the winter on my 6 wt....and scaling down to 8# tippets.

Reactions: Andrew Jones

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
I was throwing 10# tippet this past Sunday...felt like a gambler with all the snook that are still around...
LOL....makes ya feel alive doesn't it?!

·
Registered
473 Posts
No challenges with saltwater?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Last year I bought a bunch of Wulff Lines. Have them on my #6 rods which I fish Reds all winter in Tampa Bay. I like them a lot. They cast nice and don't come down like a hammer in most of my clients hands. The two tone line in light blue and tan make it very easy to keep track of the lines head which leads to proper loading with anglers new to saltwater fly fishing.

I also like that they are 105 ft. This year they also started making this line down to #5. Which works great for me since I regularly use 5 weights for Trout on calmer days.

Ken

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have Wulff on my 6 wt. I used it in CO this summer and had zero issues with performance that I could tell. If it can work in cold mountain streams winter time coastal fishing shouldn’t be any issue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts