Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DSCN5542.JPG
GOPR2316.JPG
Windy days does make it tougher but not impossible. You need to find places to fish out of the wind.
I know that easier for local, like me.
But you have to consider conditions, have a plan the night before launch the boat.
Thursday it blew like crazy. We managed to catch a one topwater Red & one topwater Trout. ( CPR ).
Subsurface lures worked after the topwater did not, continued to another catch 14 keeper Trout (all fish released).

Doesn't anybody work anymore ?????
Fished with Woody ( works 4 x 10 hour days ) yesterday super cold temps, high winds & everybody in the world went fishing. You know type of day - 3 layers of clothing, bone chilling cold, that freezes your face & numbs your fingers. The kind of day that has you struggling, doubting your sanity, questioning your saneness.

With boats everywhere we improvised, left the crowds behind & went our own way. Trying a new place out of the wind, cold & crowds.
Not much topwater love so we went deep. Jig heads & Z-mans, MR 17 & MR 18.
Started catching Lizardfish, these were full grown 3 pounders. That when hooked felt like gator Trout, so we stayed to catch them, to evaluate our skills & test our tackle. These were quality Lizards, throwing up high fives for everyone landed. We forgot about Trout until we started feeling that famous head shaking.......

We ended up with a 2 man limit of Trout, 5 Flounders releases, 2 Rat Reds released & 150 tournament quality winning, fat, hungry Lizardfish.
I lost a nice big Trout at the boat, Woody tried to free net a 5# (?) Sheepshead & we spotted a big Red crusing the marsh bank. We will be keeping this place a secret for awhile.

Yesterday we stopped following the pack, have fun catching Lizards & caught more fish than every boat we spoke to on the way back to the ramp....... ICM

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's an update........Well that was short lived. The netters are here.

The other day me & 3 guides fished the same school of Trout.
After they left a fourth guide showed up with his 3 clients.
The very same afternoon a net boat showed up. The next day no Trout.

Yesterday I went searching for new waters to fish, passed 3 different net boats.
Netters are allowed 75 Trout a day.
If they are honest, or stop & checked. Have not seen or been checked by the Wild Live man in months......ICM

·
Registered
106 Posts
That really sux. Do people really buy sea trout at the seafood market? I like to eat them just fine, but if I'm buying(which is never) I'm going for wahoo, snapper, tuna, etc. I can only imagine how good the inshore fishing could be in NC if it weren't for the netters. All that pretty water would make for some great sight fishing. If...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That really sux. Do people really buy sea trout at the seafood market? I like to eat them just fine, but if I'm buying(which is never) I'm going for wahoo, snapper, tuna, etc. I can only imagine how good the inshore fishing could be in NC if it weren't for the netters. All that pretty water would make for some great sight fishing. If...
Yes they sell Trout in local fish markets.
Here's the rub, they also ship our NC Trout & Redfish to other states with enforceable netting laws.
So that Blacken Redfish or that Trout Almondine your eating in Texas or Louisiana
came from NC. .......ICM

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
Commercial fishermen feed the world. Nc flounder farm ships weekly to japan, all of nc inshore waters are nursery waters.
Don’t hear much outta the CCA anymore. Seems like they had a larger following in the past . Decal used to be more divisive than a maga hat

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Commercial fishermen feed the world. Nc flounder farm ships weekly to japan, all of nc inshore waters are nursery waters.
Don’t hear much outta the CCA anymore. Seems like they had a larger following in the past . Decal used to be more divisive than a maga hat
What are you talking about? You lost me, I'm confused.
Please clarify your point.....Thanks ...... ICM

·
Registered
85 Posts
Unfortunately Alabama allows nets but at least at present has a provision where the license dies when the netter dies. But Alabama does protect trout and redfish as they have gamefish status. But, Alabama does allow the sale of redfish and trout “caught” from other state waters. However our marine resource dept is severely underfunded so it doesn’t appear to be much enforcement. I witnessed illegal sets and reported to mrd, but doubt they ever sent an officer to investigate. MS also allows netting including the legal netting of trout and reds. So all trout and red ms in fish markets/ grocery stores didn’t come from ALA....yeah right. Every couple years there is a sting and bust of trout and reds caught from ala being illegally labeled a caught from ms. The illegal fish were taken from ala by both rod and reel and net fisherman.
If you don’t think nets affect the fishery, go to fl waters on the coastal beaches and observe the schools of Spanish Mack’s, Bonita and skipjacks (Ladydish) and then go to al and ms coastal waters and compare. It will not take one long to see the difference in population density from Florida to ala/ms. I wish ala would impose stricter laws to require nets to at least be a mile offshore in the gulf and out of the estuary waters of our coastal marshes.
The mortality rate of fish caught in monofilament nets and subsequently released has to be somewhat high. I have found dead redfish laying on the bottom in our marshes they I believe were safe for human consumption. The fish have ranged from bulls to slots and I believe were caught and discarded the night before. Their eyes were not swollen or this guts bloated. However, i did catch a small red this August that had net scars (missing scales and slime loss) from where he was netted so some at least survive.

Our trout and flounder population is way down and under intense pressure. At least our mrd finally addressed and effective August 1 2019 cut our limit in half to five trout and imposed a legal slot limit of 16-22” with one oversized allowed. They did same with flounder, cut limit in half and imposed a min size (14”) and closed both commercial and recreational harvest during November which is when flounder spawn. Now if only we could get the needed enforcement

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
In total agreement Just gum flapping , don’t know how nc recreational fisherman will ever get on top of the problem. Commercial lobby has legislators by the throat. Too many thoughts...
Sorry for the confusion

1 - 10 of 10 Posts