SOLD/EXPIRED willy roberts

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by Snookster, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Snookster

Snookster Well-Known Member

is this a real willy roberts?
    I always thought those boats brought top dollar?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/1010066869.html

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Looks like a fiberglass production model,
    The willys that are rare are the plywood beauties.

http://www.willyflatsboats.com/index.html

3. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

The color might be scaring the price away!!!!!!

4. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

A good freind of mine and his partner just purchased this company and are building the fiberglass boats now.

5. copperhead

copperhead Well-Known Member

I don't think thats even a "Willy Roberts 17". Anyone can correct me, but a former owner/company (which may not have the best reputation) of the Roberts molds was actually using a similar hull design from L&H boats in Stuart for the 17. L&H were selling the Roberts firm molded hulls & decks to order and finished by the company. I don't know if L&H actually sold the molds later on or not (and/or represented them to be a Willy's design). But none the less, even that pic was not from the L&H mold. Next time I'm down in Stuart, I'll swing by L&H and see if I can find about the molds. Maybe B.Lee can get his friend to shed some light on this boat. But having known Mr. Roberts, his 20 and later the 15 were the hallmarks of his designs.

6. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

I need to go see him tomorrow, I'll try ask about the 17.

7. roto77777

roto77777 Well-Known Member

The boat in the picture looks to be a Roberts flats boat, not a Willy Roberts. Roberts built 16 and 18' boats in the 80's and early 90's.
    No relation to Willy Roberts or Willy Classic Boats.

L&H lays up the hulls and decks for Willy Flats boats, and has been doing it for quite a while.  When Alex had the company, he would have them lay up the parts, and then he would trim the cap, and do all the assembly, plumbing, and electrical. He would slso design a one off custom console for each boat.

The 15' and 20' molds and boats are owned by the Willy Flats Boat company, L&H ownes the molds to the 17, but builds them exclusively for Willy (with the occasional 1 or 2 they build for personal use). After Alex bough the company from Chris in 2004, he tried to buy the 17, but L&H would not sell.

The new owners are great people by the way,  and I am sure would love to get a few out the door.

As Paul Harvey would say..."now you know the rest of the story".

8. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Thanks roto,
    I didn't remember any of the willys looking that much
    like a chopped Donzi hull. Appreciate the background info.

9. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Thanks you Roto! I love this history stuff!

10. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

It would be cool to see the history on a particular mold or design though the years. Who built the first, who built the first plug, the first mold, where that mold went, who built them when, etc.

I know some boats I built when I was a kid have since changed hands several times, and it's neat to see who's building what, and what they call it now.