Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some cleaning, and found something I totally forgot I had. Years back I bought it when I was living in Maine to use for bass, and somehow it followed me when I got stationed down here...

A St Croix Triumph 4 piece 9 weight, moderate fast action. I’ve never used this thing, and wondered if anyone has any experience with them? I’d love to give it a go on reds and trout.

Other option is see if it’s worthwhile to sell it towards the TFP Mangrove.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use a 9 on windy days when we sight cast to reds, but I would probably throw it more if our area had bigger reds like Louisiana does. Most days I throw a 6 or 7. I have an 8 but don't like the rod I have as much. Though if I had to pick just one, I'd go with an 8 as I think it gives the most versatility for size/type of fish, and does better in the wind.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,297 Posts
Thanks. I’ll consider that. I do have a Redington Behemoth I forgot I had as well.

Why the preference for a 7 or 8 versus a 9?
Easier to cast, lighter weight, and fly line more likely to land soft. If you have good technique the 9wt will work for all species and handle larger flies.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Personally I think you will be fine to use that and it will get the job done as long as you throw it well. Lets keep in mind this Triumph was made from SC2 graphite and has a mod-fast type action, which means it is probably very forgiving and you can throw a true 9wt line on it. Which in reality might just be exactly like everyones 8wt they are telling you to get. They might be throwing an "8wt" line that weighs 243+ grains which gets you into 9wt category anyway but telling you that a 9wt is too much... Make sure you are comparing apples to apples here and not just look at what the rod says. Please take your rod and go fish it, you will be just fine. Then go test others rather than just asking what to buy or sell on a forum. I have owned and thrown 7wts that I had to put a 9wt line on for others to feel comfortable with it. Pay more attention to feel than what others say or even what that rod says. Don't make fly fishing harder than it needs to be. Enjoy.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
For most redfish, it's not about the fighting power of the rod, but the ability to deliver heavy flies, often in wind.

Maybe if you're fishing super spooky fish you may downsize at some point, but there is a lot you can do with your cast/delivery to resolve most presentation issues.

My vote is fish the 9, and hang onto it as a backup if you decide to get a 7 or 8 at some point. Hell, I fished a 10 for about a year since I got a smoking deal on it, then finally got a rod that was easier to cast all day.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
As others have said... fish what you've got before you get the urge to spend your money. A side benefit is that after using a fly rod for a while you'll know whether it's for you. Fly fishing is a gas - but not in bad conditions or in situations where the fly rod probably needs to stay in the rack if you want to catch a fish or two. The real benefit of using that 9wt is that you'll have a real basis for comparison when you do go for a better rod...

When I'm asked for a recommendation for someone's first fly rod I'll recommend an 8wt if they're fishing both fresh and salt -but a 9wt if it's for the salt alone.... If you can afford two rods just make sure they're two line sizes apart (an 8 and a 10, a 7 and a 9, or a 9 and an 11...). Up in the central and north part of the state many use lighter rods, say a 7 or a 6wt. Where we fish at the other end of the state down in the 'glades, I think a 7 is as light as I'll ever want (and it stays home a lot). We can pretty much cover all the bases down here with just an 8 and a 10wt - until it's big tarpon time - then you'll be wanting an 11 or 12wt with you....

I've just come off of five days out of Flamingo, and my angler was a dedicated fly angler. We struggled a bit but finally released a 60lb tarpon on a 10-wt up in a small river - a pretty fair catch... and that 10wt got a real workout... We also released a bunch of small snook that we could have used a 4 or 5wt rod for (fifty of them would have fit in a five gallon bucket with room to spare...).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I ended taking the rod and reel to Black Fly here in Jax, and the guys there echoed most of the sentiments here: fish it! We had the reel spooled up, picked up some leader/tippet, a few flies they recommended, and the goal is to fish it hard and when I’m ready head back for an upgrade. (Which will be who knows when lol, but the TFO Mangrove they showed me is definitely the next one).

Hopefully the weather breaks soon here so I can get the boat out and throw a fly or two. If not, it’s going with me down to Horseshoe Beach next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts