Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve spent most of the last 30 years fly fishing in the Rockies but I recently moved to the Florida panhandle, bought a boat and a bunch of spinning rods. I fish for reds and trout 99% of the time. I also go to Louisiana whenever I can. Years ago, before the fly fishing addiction, I used to fish for bass with a casting rod. I remember lots of backlashes. But I see people sight fishing with casting tackle. Is it much better for sight fishing? Has it gotten easier to use?

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Baitcasters are all I use as far as conventional sight fishing gear. Just like fly casting, it’s a skill that has to be learned through practice. The newer reels have much better magnetic braking systems than the older ones. If you want to cheat you can buy a Shimano Curado DC (digital control) reel that has a waterproof digital controlled braking system that makes backlashing almost impossible. I use Lew’s and older Shimanos for my baitcasters.
Spool it up with 20# 8 strand braid, I like Sufix832 and Diawa J-Braid 8. If you go smaller than that it will dig into itself on the spool due to the tiny diameter compared to monofilament.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
New reels are so much better at controlling backlashes. If you think about the physics of casting a spinner the line rubs against the lip of the spool as it leaves the reel. This doesn't happen with a baitcaster so you can cast it further. You can really make some light acurrate presentations.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's a tool in the toolbox. If you get casting gear, you will find a use for it. If you don't, you'll never know when it would be appropriate. For me, it's a feel thing. There are times I want my spinning rods and there are times I want my casting rods. I can't even tell you the were/when/how of it. Conditions have so many variables, it truly is just an experience and feel thing. I will tell you that I really only like casting rods while standing on a boat. That doesn't mean I don't like spinning gear in the same situation, but I would never use a casting rod sitting down, especially in a kayak, when I had the option of using a spinning reel.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
nothing wrong with being diverse!
I use the fly rod when conditions are right for it
Conditions?
I fly fish in the wind, rain, while it's snowing and been in the river a few times that every once in awhile you had to stick the rod in the water because the guides would ice up to the point that the line would not move...

Now that's diverse to me :)

That said, I do have 2 black bass casting rods and a boat load of "boat" rods.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Conditions?
I fly fish in the wind, rain, while it's snowing and been in the river a few times that every once in awhile you had to stick the rod in the water because the guides would ice up to the point that the line would not move...

That said, I do have 2 black bass casting rods and a boat load of "boat" rods.
Well I did fly fish year round in Montana when I lived there. Some of the days were a little sporty but I knew where the fish were. I think a spinning rod works better for reds when I have to cover a lot of water. But I’ve never fished with a spinning rod in Montana or Colorado

·
Registered
796 Posts
Conditions?

I've fly fished in wind and rain, when the water temp was warmer than the air and there was ice on the rocks. My guides would ice up between casts, and still loaded the net with trout.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
I'm kind of a smart a$$ sometimes so don't get me wrong :)
What ever you use, spin/cast/fly is all good if your enjoying yourself.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've always preferred levelwinds to spinning reels that one tenth of one percent of the time that I'm not throwing flies. I feel like I have a lot more control. But I use levelwinds and I use spinning reels, and it's all good. Whatever blows your dress up.......

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
spinning rod works better for reds when I have to cover a lot of water.
There is no two ways about it, I've been addicted to fly fishing since 1962. Early/mid 70's I went to Florida because I saw a TV program with guys catching bones and a variety of other fish on spin/casting gear throwing live bait
IN SHALLOW WATER.
Sight casting!!!
To be honest the biggest fish I'd caught at the time on a fly was a little over 15 pounds which just cemented my addiction :)

In Florida, I learned (already had learned from my dad about water temp/tides/structure/migration/spawning) some about sight fishing. Totally lucky I had met a guy (Carl Hanson) who took a liking to me and told me stories about fly fishing Florida, even fished together once and he showed me how to tie a few saltwater flies.

Whats this leading to?
You make a cast with your spin/casting gear.
I make a cast with my fly rod.

Then I see a tailer, 30 feet to the right. Either I finish the strip already in progress or start a double haul back cast and place the fly with just one, some times two back casts.

You, still reeling in your line :)

·
Fly-By-Night
3,174 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread. If someone already said it just ignore, you get a little more control over spinning gear, and faster follow-up casts when talking conventional. Accuracy for me under 60' is fly, casting, spinning in that order. Over 60' or windy casting, spinning, fly.

A comment on backlashes/bird'snest/overruns, pull off the max distance you want to cast, now stick a piece of tape on the line that's still on the spool, and reel what you pulled off back on the spool over the tape. Now when/if you blow up the reel, the tangle will only go to that point and will be much easier and faster to deal with.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts