Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke both a TFO rod and a Sage rod recently and sent them both back at the same time. The TFO was back here in one week. The Sage is going on almost 4 weeks. I'm in the market for another rod and this will definitely factor in my decision. You'd think if one company can be fast, the competition all could be as well? Disappointing

·
Registered
994 Posts
I broke my brand new 6 wt. Orvis Recon last trip. Second time it was out. Rookie stunt; hit the push pole with it and broke a foot off the tip. They told me four to six weeks. I'm just glad they back it up; Orvis has always taken care of me. Almost all of my fly rods are Orvis or TFO. I like 'em both, and will continue to buy both. You aren't supposed to break them. Don't sweat a little bit longer return, just rate them on how well they try to take care of the problem.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
Was the Sage rod you broke a current model? If you broke a section from your 15 year old Sage rod, it might take them a while to find the matching blank section and build it up. It could also be that they are really busy seeing that it is peak season. I have Sage, TFO and St Croix fly rods so no real bias with the rod makers. My St Croix was pretty quick to get fixed but it was only a couple years old and a current model. My neighbor broke an old Sage a while back and it took a pretty long to get it back. Instead of sending a new replacement section, they replaced the grip, all the guides and of course the broken section. The rod looks brand new.

Reactions: Fishshoot

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just think how excited you will be when you get it! Kinda like I was when I got my boat.......

Reactions: AZ_squid

·
Registered
866 Posts
Just got my edge 11wt back from repair, took about 2 months. I know lots of folks have issues with that company but I haven’t. I was honest and told them it was my fault tip got broken, they sent me a return shipping label and I had no cost for repair, I just had to be patient. American companies that actually repair and build a new section (I know Scott and edge do this) are going to take more time than a company that imports rods and just ships a new rod or section.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had a Sage once, when it broke it took 16 weeks to replace the tip section and return it. I don't have Sage anymore.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,108 Posts
Sent my old Sage rod back and they sent it back to me, un- repaired

·
Registered
267 Posts
It’s the middle of the heat of guide season both out west and in the salt.... sage has a small factory that includes repairing rods. You can only do things so fast.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have a couple SAGE rods but I wont be buying any new for this reason. Their warranty program is garbage. Snapped my Asquith and had a brand new rod back in 2 days via the Xpeditor program.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I love my sage rods but i am disappointed with the new warranty system. As for Orvis rods which I started with, don't really love them but just prior to going on a trip broke a rod and they sent me overnight a new one while I sent back my broken one. Orvis supports and advocates a ton for our fish world. Thankyou Perkins boys!!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Lets play a game.
Every fly fisherman take a seat in a chair in the middle of the basketball court.
Every fly fisherman who has broken a fly rod please stand up. I suspect that most every body is now standing.
Now every body that has broken a fly rod that was REALLY a manufacturers defect please continue standing. The rest of you sit down.

I suspect there aren't very many guys left standing. The fact is the vendors go out of there way to honor warranties far beyond when they really should have to. I have lost count of how many fly rods I have broken. But there have been a good number of them. Of all of them only two would I say were absolutely due to defects. And both of those rods were broken the same way within 15 minutes of each other.

Most fly rods that break are either because we do something stupid or have whacked the blank with a heavy fly and weakened it.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Lets play a game.
Every fly fisherman take a seat in a chair in the middle of the basketball court.
Every fly fisherman who has broken a fly rod please stand up. I suspect that most every body is now standing.
Now every body that has broken a fly rod that was REALLY a manufacturers defect please continue standing. The rest of you sit down.

I suspect there aren't very many guys left standing. The fact is the vendors go out of there way to honor warranties far beyond when they really should have to. I have lost count of how many fly rods I have broken. But there have been a good number of them. Of all of them only two would I say were absolutely due to defects. And both of those rods were broken the same way within 15 minutes of each other.

Most fly rods that break are either because we do something stupid or have whacked the blank with a heavy fly and weakened it.
This goes for any rod.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am such a klutz that that I have sent 6-8 repairs to sage over 30 years. One of these rods is a very old rod (Light Line model, early 1980's), others have been new. Depending on the season and rod I tend to get my repair in 4-6 weeks.
They charge me about 50-60 dollars and I am very satisfied.

I believe one time I may have had a defect. Nymphing, I set up on what I thought was a fish, with a big rubber legs in Box Canyon of the Henry's Fork. It was a rock and my tip broke. I thought the rod should have handled it, but it is more likely it was my fault I suppose.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have no problem with a rod company changing their warranty policy. I feel from experience that Sage has had lets say difficulty honoring their former policies without strong advocation on the owners part. Retailers and reps back in the day all said the real reason for the high cost of the rod was the warranty. Again no problem with a new policy.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Lets play a game.
Why a basketball court!?

You're definitely right. Almost every time I've broken a rod its been my fault. For some reason I couldn't convince them that fence I caught in my back cast was a manufacturer defect...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts