Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering why there is so little activity on this section? Do we need a Texas site to enjoy more discussion on Texas waters? By that I do not mean where to fish, there is already too much of that but just all related discussions around Texas boats, flies, general waters etc.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just meant that under that section / forum area there is very little. Interesting is all.

I know there is a growing number of folks fly fishing in Texas coastal waters which has also been accompanied by more tech skiffs.

I don’t have much in particular at this moment to discuss but was curious why it is not used more by Texas skiff owners / fisherman.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
There are definitely many more “weenie boats” on the water here...(funny story)
I’ve post up on that section and not gotten much response.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Weenie boats? I am used to the crazy amount of freakish flats rockets but not weenie boats
Two falls ago I dragged my skiff to Delacroix and fished with a buddy for two days after hurricane Harvey and caught a bunch of largemouth bass so decided to run to Empire and Venice and fished there a couple of days then fished with some local guides for two days to entertain some work clients. The guides were in their 30’s and we had to laugh because we were fishing on Majek Extreme 25+ bay boats chunking lures and they complained all day about all the “weenie boats” showing up on “their waters”. The end of the last day I broke the news to them that the “weenie boat” at the lodge was mine and we had been poling their marsh for two days prior. They commenced to “crawfishing” and retracting their statements by attempting to justify their hate for the poling skiffs around every corner by saying they just aren’t used to all the new boats on the delta. I still dropped them a decent tip because I learned a few new terms to bring back to Texas.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahahahahahaha, interesting.

Sound like mighty educated fellas. That’s a funny story, thanks for sharing ;)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you type a smiley face it puts that dang wink face, these auto corrects suck

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wish I had something to offer to a "Texas Discussion" but my home waters have been hammered since before Havey in the fall of '17. Sure we're still catching fish but it's not like it used to be. Redfish?? All day long and all you want. Trout, especially good trout, is a different story. My situation was also compounded b/c I was waiting on my boat to be finished. I primarily truly enjoy fishing in the winter and fish during the summer b/c I have a dependency problem, I just have to feel it sometimes.

·
1652 G3, & 1756 Lowe tinnys
776 Posts
BudT, may I ask what general area you fish? I'd love to catch some of those reds but I am only in Texas November through April.

SJR, where do you guide?

·
Registered
375 Posts
BudT, may I ask what general area you fish? I'd love to catch some of those reds but I am only in Texas November through April.

SJR, where do you guide?

Yes Sir Rich, what I claim as my home waters is the Sabine Lake system. It should be understood that this encompasses all surrounding estuaries such as the Neches River, Keith Lake, Texas Bayou, Blacks Bayou, Sabine River, Sabine NWR.

·
1652 G3, & 1756 Lowe tinnys
776 Posts
Thanks. I fished at the big park on Sabine 10 years ago. Reds were cooperative, and a few trout, also.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
703 Posts
Yes Sir Rich, what I claim as my home waters is the Sabine Lake system. It should be understood that this encompasses all surrounding estuaries such as the Neches River, Keith Lake, Texas Bayou, Blacks Bayou, Sabine River, Sabine NWR.
fellow border boy here. What skiff do you run?

·
Registered
121 Posts
So here’s a topic.
I read Sikes’ article in the Salty Dangler a few weeks ago and he put a spotlight on a group called Flatsworthy. Have any of you guys joined? I joined because I’d like to see how they plan on educating and convincing people, who I believe truly don’t give a shit, to not burn flats. It was odd that I never received a welcome email or any kind of newsletter since I joined a few weeks ago. Not going to join Facebook to check out their page. Anyone have any knowledge on how they are approaching this?

1 - 20 of 160 Posts