Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Other than the *******/Walmart appeal, what's wrong with a cheap plasticky Jon boat for flats and marshes?

The Pelican Intruder 12 is $500 brand new and seems like it would be as quiet as a plasticky kayak or plasticky paddle board. Probably easy enough to paddle or pole once you’re at your destination.

Weighs less than a Solo Skiff, short enough to not need a bed extension on a 6ft bed, and narrow enough to fit between the wheel wells.

It has a spot for up to 6hp on the stern and a trolling motor on the bow.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Actually it would get the job done just fine. For that price you might be onto something. It’s the catfish thing. They still fight but aren’t in with the popular sport and game fish. They didn’t catch on as being cool like SUP or yaks and SoloS

·
Registered
684 Posts
It’s a good starting point and would be fine in protected waters where you don’t have to make any long runs. If you put a motor on it you’ll have to register it if you in Florida. That includes a trolling motor as well.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
128 Posts
My first boat was an old worn out riveted 12ft Jon boat that came with a trailer, trolling motor and battery for 400 bucks. I was so tired of standing on one side of a canal and seeing spots I wanted to fish, I just had to get something to get me over there. It did the trick for about 4 years. I fixed it up along the way and sold it to help finance my first flats boat. Anything you get that gets you out on the water is a win.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,174 Posts
Yes that boat will work to catch fish. If you want it get it, it'll get you out there that's the point.

With that said, I'll say if you ever plan on upgrading past a trolling motor your money would be better spent on a used but good condition jon boat or Gheenoe. Plastic hulls are not really meant for planing or real motors. There are better deals out there, just have to keep your eye on craigslist, and be ready to buy, with the advent of paypal/venmo you can even put something on a card. Example, I bought a 13' River Hawk (Gheenoe clone) for $250 a few yrs ago.

Another method I used to deploy when I was younger, I would drive around and spot old unused boats sitting behind peoples house and go make an offer. If there are waist high weeds growing around something, you can almost always make a deal on it.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nothing at all especially if not trying to add a poling platform. I had a bass tender 11.3 growing up and it was very comfortable. Had a livewell, nav lights, seats, trolling motor- Comfort!

·
Fly-By-Night
3,174 Posts
Thanks for the input! Found a 13' Gheenoe with a 9.9 Johnson and trailer (all in great shape) for $1k so I jumped on it. Now outfitting it :)
Nice man!

The best part about that deal you made, is you can fish that thing forever and sell it for exactly what you have in it years down the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts