Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
St. Croix makes the best spinning rods I’ve ever used, all of there USA made models are my go to flats and tarpon rods…. and to support American made?!? How can you not. Fly rods though? I have always steered clear because people are practically giving them away even compared to budget rods like TFO. Anyone have a good answer? I know they’re prevalent in the fresh water scene but why not salt??

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don’t know much about their current and past offerings, but I do know they are focusing more on their fly rods moving forward. I hope they bring some cool new rods to the market, as I too have always enjoyed their conventional rods.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am new to fly fishing 1.5 years now and I just went from a Echo Ion xl to a T&T Zone and can say after the first 3 months with it yes it was worth the extra money. Nothing wrong with the Echo rod it was what I learned the basics on but the Zone is just much more efficient and accurate no doubt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've owned a 5wt Imperial for over 10 years and love it for trout/bass fishing. I don't think they make the Bank Robber salt water fly rods anymore, looks like it's now an "Imperial Salt" but I always liked the Bank Robber 8wt too.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,170 Posts
Great rods, I've had a couple of their fly rods and a bunch of their conventional rods. The fly rods tended to be a little slower but they were all forgiving and easy to cast. The one fly rod they made that I wanted but never got was the Legend elite salt (or something like that) Never read a bad review that I remember. One of the big reasons I don't fish them much anymore, is that they just aren't in the fly shops around here and haven't put a lot of effort into marketing their fly rods, at least down on the coast. I still have an Imperial 6wt that both my boys learned to cast on and have both caught a ton of speckled trout and redfish on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The one fly rod they made that I wanted but never got was the Legend elite salt (or something like that) Never read a bad review that I remember. One of the big reasons I don't fish them much anymore, is that they just aren't in the fly shops around here and haven't put a lot of effort into marketing their fly rods, at least down on the coast.
I owned one briefly. It was well built, but swung really heavy.

As to the OP's question, a few thoughts, some of which have been touched on....

St. Croix's current offerings are more much limited than they were say 4-5 years ago. They discontinued certain models without offering replacements, and currently don't compete in the mid-priced and premium priced segments of the market. There's nothing wrong with offering lower priced rods (it's great that the two Imperial models are actually built in the US), but there are some people, rightly or wrongly, who just aren't going to consider lower priced rods. Sage and Orvis offer models across the price spectrum and Scott, G Loomis and T&T offer rods at the mid- and premium price tiers. Price wise, St. Croix's closest peers are probably TFO and Echo, each of which offers many more models. So a long way of saying that St. Croix, through its own actions, has a smaller pool of potential buyers.

As was mentioned above, St. Croix announced sometime earlier this year (I think it was this year) that it intends to expand its fly rod focus/offerings. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
256 Posts
No ST Croix fly rods, but spinners I have. Trying to love them, they are nice but cant seem to figure the what weight they like best. They fight fish well but the feel in the cast and balance is never sweet. Kind of like 5 iron, when you hit the sweet spot, the shaft kicks just right, feels good, ball flight is great. Yea that never happens, with my Croix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
St. Croix's fly fishing focus and lineup suffered in recent years. They dumped their premium (actually mid-priced) Legend Elite line several years ago. They make fine rods and are soon going to expand their fly fishing offerings, including higher end rods, as they get back into the fly fishing game in a bigger way. For now, for the salt, I think the lone fly offering is the Imperial Salt. It is a good mid-level rod and sells for $350.

To successfully get back into the fly fishing game they will need to update their designs and materials.

St. Croix also owns the Rod Geeks rod factory in Mexico. You can buy all kinds of blanks from Rod Geeks from their website, including G4 fly blanks, which are the same design as the Imperial.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts