Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread made me think of this. Why do local governments always feel the need to keep finding money to rebuild or rejuvenate areas. Detroit area has streets lined with abandoned homes. You see shows how they spend tons trying to rebuild. Perhaps it should just be cleared and returned to a natural state. Cost less and never any maintenance cost. Daytona beach keeps trying to reinvent its self, downtown, beach street, Main Street areas. Put it back to its original state. It will never be what it was, so quit spending. When it becomes delapidated, plow it and plant it. No more expensive studies. They plan to spend another 15 million in the downtown city island area again.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Most people elected to office feel they need to leave their mark on society. Bigger and better than the person before, whether it's good for the common or not.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Empty green spaces don't increase the tax base, offer jobs, sell goods or services, or provide places for people who do any of the above a place to live. And they do have a maintenance cost. Although I agree with the sentiment. Overdevelopment is a big problem in a lot of coastal areas and I often wonder "did we reeeeally need another self-storage facility?"

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Empty green spaces don't increase the tax base, offer jobs, sell goods or services, or provide places for people who do any of the above a place to live. And they do have a maintenance cost. Although I agree with the sentiment. Overdevelopment is a big problem in a lot of coastal areas and I often wonder "did we reeeeally need another self-storage facility?"
America. Where most people haver so much stuff they can't get their cars in the garage AND they have to get a storage unit to cram the stuff into that won't fit into the garage.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Schools, counties etc. all take field trips (on our dime) to other cities to see the latest snazzy thing that other cities have and then come back and try to sell it to the local constituency.

The city I live in is home to the county fair for over the last 100 years. Our local officials pushed a $30m bond a few years ago to build all this fancy stuff at the fairgrounds after visiting other local counties (see above). Well, the bond failed miserably with something like only 20% in favor. The county officials said it was their fault because they had not "educated" the public on the benefits of said bond. Roll forward two years...…. and they came out with a $70m bond proposal complete with air conditioned equestrian center. It only garnered like 10% of the vote. You just can't make this stuff up.

What they HAVE been successful at in our area is getting bonds approved for elaborated schools with multi million dollar football stadiums. There is a high school stadium about 1.5 hours from me that cost $70m.

Reactions: Fishshoot
G

·
What I don’t like is the delapidated buildings still standing and trees being plowed over for developement! I see lots of empty buildings with roofs falling in, walls cracked, etc... that need to be bulldozed. Yet, instead of rebuilding already disturbed/ impacted land we just clear more trees and leave the garbage standing! I think all local governments should look into figuring out a way to convince developers and/ new businesses to purchase these places and build there instead of plowing down more trees!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spending money to keep redoing these areas seems wasteful. Seems everything moves west here and no matter how much they keep throwing at it, it runs down again and people do not really make a come back.

·
Brandon, FL
10,929 Posts
Another thread made me think of this. Why do local governments always feel the need to keep finding money to rebuild or rejuvenate areas. Detroit area has streets lined with abandoned homes. You see shows how they spend tons trying to rebuild. Perhaps it should just be cleared and returned to a natural state. Cost less and never any maintenance cost. Daytona beach keeps trying to reinvent its self, downtown, beach street, Main Street areas. Put it back to its original state. It will never be what it was, so quit spending. When it becomes delapidated, plow it and plant it. No more expensive studies. They plan to spend another 15 million in the downtown city island area again.
In Detroit they have quit spending. They are just giving away homes and buildings to people who will spend the money to rejuvenate them. Problem is nobody wants them.

Several businesses were given high rise buildings in the city and they just rehabbed them and now they are thriving and didn't spend tens of millions more for new construction.

Homes are a different story. Nobody wants a house next door to 8 drug dealers even if it is free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts