Why is THAT your "handle"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kemo, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Kemo

Kemo The world is flat....and shallow.

I go on several forums, and am always amazed at what most members of a forum use as their forum name.  If you don't want to share the "why" of what you use, that's OK.  I am just curious.  Some people just use their name.  I end up sometimes finding out what their real name is and can't help but wonder why they use that particular forum name.  Some are obvious, some are obscure.

For me, my given name is James.  Kemo is the Hawaiian name for Jim/Jimmy/James.  Since I am in Daytona, I picked Daytona Kemo, in case there was another Kemo out there in microskiff-land who wanted to have that as part of their handle.  (OSWLD - just think, you, too, could be a "Kemo").

So, any volunteers out there?  How did you come up with your name?  Some of these should be pretty interesting, and it would be great to get any stories about how they came about. In fact, I think the stories would be the best part! If this post gets any decent responses, I'll post how I got mine. :D

Kemo :cool:

PS - Brett - How did you get yours? ;D

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Ma and Pa liked the old west stories about Maverick,

Brett Maverick...

3. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

My name was given at birth. Aaron Shore. I could change it, but it has grown on me and my parents would be insulted I suppose. On other forums I go by engine5dbfd. I work for the Daytona Beach Fire Department (dbfd) and spent the first 4 years on Engine 5. So....figure that one out!! ;D

4. Kemo

Thanks, guys. I like honesty. Brett, I am not surprised, Aaron, I like it and I think you should always use engine5dfd if that is where your heart is, but I would still know you as aaronshore. Thanks. :cool:

5. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Mine is a little obscure.  When I was in college we were out at a buddies property & there was a dirt bike.  I was riding and hitting some jumps and of course, it was the last one of the day...  On this fateful jump all went well until the landing; I ended up bouncing off my head like a pogo stick.  No injuries just bruised ego.  

Several days later one of my buddies from the Fraternity saw my walking hunched over and said I look like his grandfather.  So from then on I was dubbed "Gramps".

6. krash

krash Well-Known Member

Mine may have something to do with cars in the 70's & 80's but I don't remember.

7. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

This was a topic over on CG earlier this year, and I'll just quote myself from there. Certainly some interesting responses...
    http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/...rt=15&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=name

8. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

I was bitten by the drag racing bug early in life. When I started going on forums it was a combination of my name and what I loved. Calvin, and we raced a quarter mile (1320'). So cal1320. I continue to use it because even though I no longer have drag cars, I still crave them. Maybe I should get another while the wife is outa town? Its easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

9. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

Microskiff was my first venture into the online community, so I hadn't really thought of a user name so I was unsure when prompted. I played on the theme of going from shoreline fishing to inshore fishing.

10. Kemo

These are cool, folks.  I knew there'd be some stories.  I didn't know about the similar post on the CG site.  I'll check it out.

As promised, here's how I came by mine.  My given name is James, and I was always called Jimmy by my parents.  When we were kids, my youngest brother had an imaginary friend, and he insisted that my name was Kemo, according to his "friend".  It stuck.  More than 20 years later, we found out that the misionaries in Hawaii had tried to equate the Hawaiian gods with the disciples, and James became Kemo.
    Also spelled Kimo.  I have everything from key chains to coffee mugs with both Kemo and Jim on them that people have brought me from their visits to Hawaii.  Pretty strange, though, about my little bro's insight.  There are now far more people in the world who call me Kemo than there are who call me Jim.  Many don't even know my given name.   :cool:

11. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

When I was younger I become addited to fishing.  Caught my first snook and my first red fish when I was only four years old.  From that moment on I was hooked and grew up doing the inshore fishing thing.  I am not sure when it came about but I came up with snookNreds2 for the projected name of my first flats boat.  I liked it becasue I thought it sounded catchy and it implied that the boat would catch snook and red fish also (2).  Well years latter I signed up for my first fishing fourum and since i still did not have a flats boat to sticker the name on to I thought I woud use it for my screen name.  Now, years latter I still go by the same name and as a result allot of my friends now call me snook rather than Jason.  

In addition I also got into sword fishing in the last few years and ended up becoming involved in a hunt for flats (or boxes that weigh 44 pounds each) of squid. (shops sell individual squid for like $3.00 a pop but when you buy a flat they come out to less than a dollar a piece.  Problem is becasue of the mark up it is hard to find some one who will sell you a whole flat.  I quickly became involved in making new contacts and making friends in the commercial industry)  Well since every time I was around sword fisherman I talked about flats of squid my nick name quickly became 'Flat'.  

So now I have a hybrid name of the two....

Flat_Snook

12. islander1225

islander1225 Well-Known Member

well mine is from when i first started kayak fishing i had an islander kayak that was 12.5 feet long but i didnt like just 125 so i added another 2 in there. to get islander1225

Alex

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Here I was getting all complicated and thinking
    12 25...December 25...Christmas
    Which in spanglish would make you...
    the Christmas Islander

;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Island

14. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

MATT you figor it out...

15. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

Mothers
    Against
    Trash
    Talking
    ?????? :D

16. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

Well, I have several online handles, this one being the simplest of them. My name is Brian.

On Florida Sportsman, I am Stumpnocker, as I had one for a very long time, and it was my identity to most people who knew me from fishing the local area.

On others it gets a little more stealthy, due to the content of the conversations.

17. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

because wen i bought my mercury 25 cap.ron told me about this site, when i signed up, i had a gheenoe hisider and a 25 hp motor. i thought it sounded catchy. i didnt realize i could keep handles from other forums. i mainly use "Chasing Tail" bc all three of my gheenoes have had Chasin' Tail on the side of them. I try to get everything from snapper/redfish to whitetail/ducktail and everything in between ;)

I also use "Impoundment Murderer" on a duck hunting forum bc when i first started duck huntin, it was always in misquito impoundments and we always slayed 'em

18. I use to work at a german resuraunt here in town called Pumpernickels.  I had to wear the full on german beer wench outfit.  People always said "You look like the St. Paulie Girl!"...
    Thus "St. Sophie Girl" was born.  :)

19. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

I recognize that handle, you only have 11 post on here it is not to late to change names and be consistent from one forum to the next.... unless you are trying to be incognito ;)

20. costefishnt

costefishnt Cost Efish'nt³