Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the Camera Drone ROI? thread got me to thinking yet again (oh Lordy!) about a fairly recent development in the angling community that continues to perplex me. I just don't understand it; maybe some of you can offer some insight into the rationale behind this phenomenon. Fishing for me has always been about personal enjoyment. I have many friends who love fishing tournaments; angling competition has just never appealed to me. I understand that we derive a lot of knowledge from techniques and strategies developed by the competitors, and I harbor no ill will toward most of the tournament anglers out there. There will always be a few cheaters and poor sportsmen, but you find those in all activities and in all walks of life. Anyway, for me fishing is about enjoying myself. Period.

The past few years I have noticed that more and more anglers, especially in the kayaks, are into videoing everything they do. I have seen kayaks (and they usually resemble a floating tackle shop) with three cameras mounted, and they keep readjusting them while they are playing a fish. For the life of me, I don't understand this penchant for generating videos about everything a person does. I used to laugh at all the people who document every tiny detail of their lives on Facebook. Now they do it on Youtube. Can anybody tell me what the point of all those videos is? What those people are hoping to gain? I just don't get it.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,309 Posts
There’s nothing wrong with a video or photo now and then but I agree the non-stop video documentation has gotten out of hand.
I can’t even count how many of my favorite areas to fish that rarely anyone would ever fish have been blasted on Youtube or Facebook and are now parking lots. I used to have a back lake that was only accessible by kayak on low tide and some jackass documented it on Youtube the. Proceeded to post it on every social media platform he was a part of...in the first 30 seconds of the video he says “oh man bro my buddy is going to be so pissed that I post this but oh well...”

·
Registered
603 Posts
I totally agree. I fish to escape. Fishing is my blood pressure medicine. If tournament fishing and the "run and gun' type fishing is your thing, go for it. I'll be along shortly. I trout fish in the North Georgia mountains. I have hiked 2 miles up a creek before ever wetting a line, and fished all day without ever seeing another fisherman. I know guys who document every fish they catch, and they probably can put together a pattern and catch more next time out. But to me its day by day, moment by moment, joy in the journey life. Today is my last day working a public job, retired as of 2PM. I still pastor my church, and I intend on investing my time on the water and enjoying the journey called life.
A couple of years ago, a fellow trout fisherman had a drone "shadowing" him as he fished a stream in NE Ga. He tried to take it out but couldn't hit it with a fly line. This drone spying and video crap has gone too far.

Rant over....Peace to all

·
Registered
576 Posts
I believe it is a hobby for many just like collecting fishing rods, farkling a boat, etc. Fishing itself is an odd pastime to a lot of people. There is also several psychological factors when Facebook, Instagram, etc is mixed in.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I am/was bivocational. I worked a public job for the last 26+ years as a maintenance foreman for a public housing authority, "the projects" as it is known by many. Today I finished that season of my life and now pastoring will take center stage. I have been at my present church for about 9 years. Hopefully God will give me several more. BLESSINGS!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
938 Posts
I am/was bivocational. I worked a public job for the last 26+ years as a maintenance foreman for a public housing authority, "the projects" as it is known by many. Today I finished that season of my life and now pastoring will take center stage. I have been at my present church for about 9 years. Hopefully God will give me several more. BLESSINGS!!
Several more churches, or years?
My dad retired preaching, he was at the same church for 54 years

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Anyway, for me fishing is about enjoying myself. Period.
I think this is the key. Many people have different approaches to what gives them enjoyment. I think we are best served with a simple approach.
1. If its legal then knock yourself out.
2. If it isn't something that harms the fishery then knock yourself out.
3. If it isn't something that impacts me on the water then knock yourself out.

With these three simple guidelines I think it makes life (and fishing) much less stressful.

Some examples of things we have been talking about on here.
a. Drones - flying around your boat. Not off in the distance flying around me. No problem.
b. Videos - want to film yourself for you and your friends to enjoy after the day. No problem. Post them all over the internet. No problem. Posting them on the internet with additional information that lets guys know where you are fishing (even general areas)....not cool.
c. Tournaments - this is a tough one for me since I personally believe that they are not a good thing for the fishery and they definitely impact my fishing.

Just how I look at things. Everybody is different in what pushes their buttons but I think the three general guidelines are a decent approach.

·
Carpe Diem
1,699 Posts
A third of the posts on Facebook fall into the category of "I'm having fun and you're not." I'm hiking, skiing, fishing, rock climbing, cycling, etc. I look cool and you're stuck staring at a computer. People post this crap because it affirms that they have made better choices in life than those viewing those posts.

A second third of all posts are pictures of cats and babies. People post these because they are hormonally imbalanced.

A final segment of posts are political or humorous memes. People post these because they are the ones who are stuck staring into a computer because they have made poorer choices in life and they have no original ideas.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,309 Posts
A third of the posts on Facebook fall into the category of "I'm having fun and you're not." I'm hiking, skiing, fishing, rock climbing, cycling, etc. I look cool and you're stuck staring at a computer. People post this crap because it affirms that they have made better choices in life than those viewing those posts.

A second third of all posts are pictures of cats and babies. People post these because they are hormonally imbalanced.

The a final segment of posts are political or humorous memes. People post these because they are the ones who are stuck staring into a computer because they have made poorer choices in life and they have no original ideas.
Or we are at work killing time waiting on something to shut down to troubleshoot and repair for a decent wage which I have no problem with. I’d rather work full time and fish part time than try to make a living fishing in such a saturated market.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,238 Posts
I've made a couple videos from fishing but they are edited clip and pics from a specific trip or a whole season. Never posted them online but shared among friends. I almost always take a couple pics and/or short video, especially underwater releases. I know a couple guys that live their fishing life in pictures and videos. One uses it for some advertising as he is a guide and the other scratches a social media itch. If they like it, it's cool with me. I do enjoy seeing pictures and videos of cool fish caught.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,096 Posts
It makes me think of the "fishermen" who bring in amberjack and false albacore to line up on the dock for a hero shot and then kick them into the water to go to waste. Gotta show your friends how successful you are.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I don't fish any touraments but for years we always made a good donation to red snook

Tournaments are more popular with my friends in NY and VT on lake champlain

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,309 Posts
Personally I wish we were knocked back to pre GPS/drone/facegram days.

Thinking about all the fish that die just for a dumb hero shot on Instagram, then lay in a freezer for a year makes me sick.
People can’t help themselves. Getting away from Facebook and all that other social media was the best thing I ever did. I like this forum but there are still some questionable characters just fewer and further between...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts