Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a few videos of bass boats crossing lakes and man do they get soaked. Makes me wonder why bass boat builder don't try to make those boats drier.

B

·
0 Posts
Spray rails would add too much lift and the boats would do cartwheels.

Look at the pic and imagine more lift on the front of the boat.
Exactly this! When she’s doin triple digits a pair of wings would just make things bad in a hurry! Unless, they were intended to make it faster the bass guys aren’t buyin lol!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
bass boats originally started using big outboards when pros started fishing the huge man made impoundments, esp out west. its funny to see local guys with 250hp outboards running around the tiny lakes in central florida. gotta be like the pros I guess.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
They don't need them when the lower unit is the only thing touching the water. I have one and when you are going 55 it doesn't spray, trust me.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,771 Posts
Before i finally purchased a flats boat, i had 3 bass boats, one i used in saltwater as a flats boat ( don't do that, bass boats rust)
I digress
those boats would fly, especially the 15' with a 140hp. Generally they where all pretty dry rides. Not good for 4' seas but could take heavy chop
Lake Lanier in the summer with cabin cruisers and house boats could get very wavey

Reactions: nautilott

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I converted an old 15' bassboat hull into a tiller flats skiff and the ride is fairly dry. I'm guessing because it's so wide and flat up front it knocks down the spray. Also, I'm not running 50mph in 2 foot seas.
20190113_134044.jpg

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Cause spray rails could be considered fenders. We all know ******** like the tires way outside the body slinging mud. They just haven’t been able to grab the concept that fenders or wheel wells work.

B

·
0 Posts
Cause spray rails could be considered fenders. We all know ******** like the tires way outside the body slinging mud. They just haven’t been able to grab the concept that fenders or wheel wells work.
We know they work! They just get in the damn way or big tires!;)

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,771 Posts
I converted an old 15' bassboat hull into a tiller flats skiff and the ride is fairly dry. I'm guessing because it's so wide and flat up front it knocks down the spray. Also, I'm not running 50mph in 2 foot seas. View attachment 56452
can we see more pictures. I always liked bass boat hulls

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,409 Posts
Bonus points if anyone knows what these are...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts