Why does?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by skinny_water, Mar 19, 2009.

1. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

Every person that owns a good snook light....have to be a d-bag?

Went out last night. Poled the boat right down the canal to the light. Making sure not to make any noise, staying as far away from the light as possible. Stuck the Wang on the other seawall and set the boat up. Guy walks out on the dock...no wave...nothing. My buddy makes his first cast and hooks up on a decient snook 22"-24" Bring the fish in quietly, make the release. By the time my buddy rebaited his hook....off goes the light. There was and easy 100 snook under the light. And I still had 3 dozen shrimp to go!

2. phishphood

phishphood Beer is good, Beer is good, and stuff!

Happened to me 2 weeks ago and I didn't even catch a fish. I'm sure it won't be the last time either.

3. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

sounds like they are discouraging people from fishing "their" water under the dock

4. phishphood

Stay away from 'MY" fish!

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Or they've named each individual fish,
    and consider them part of the family.
    Don't laugh, I've met people in the keys
    who really treat the dock fish as pets,
    right down to feeding them daily.

;D

6. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

One guy here claims its his pet Snook. :D

7. skinny_water

I have meet people with pet snook. There is a bait shop in Palmetto that has a couple. He hand feeds them shrimp. And he has signs up that say no fishing. Great bait shop, and a cool sight. But these arn't pet snook. He is just a d-bag that shuts the lights off. It's all good. Going back next week, and just starting an hour later. Wait till he is sleeping.

And for all you that want to start night snookin. Remeber to bring you bug spray! The no-seeums are back in full swing!

8. tailchaser

tailchaser Well-Known Member

1. Find out what he's feeding them.
    2. Get some of your own.
    3 He can turn the damn light off all he wants, you're gonna fill the grill. ;)

9. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

x2, They will hear the sounds of his foot steps and expect food, throw some berkley glow shrimp.

Than leave a note saying thanks for chumming them up and how good they tasted.

10. skinny_water

lol, going to go hit this dock tonight. I have got 4 hours to get white bait and a redfish before I pick up a couple people at the ramp. Going to hit them hard...on the Fly Rod, live bait, arties...everything I got!

11. phishphood

Yeah man. Catch em up.

12. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

you could always throw an old gill net up on his dock then call the FWC when you back to the ramp...

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Why wait until the ramp?
    *FWC or #FWC on your cell.
    Just be far enough away so he can't see you...

:eek:

14. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Just be careful with that.

If you're in a natural waterway, they do not own the water, and if they harrass you in pursuit of gamefish, call the cops on them as they will be guilty of a felony. It's one of the old hunting laws on the books and it's pretty stiff.

It's an entirely different story if you are in a canal that was dug for the purpose of a development or similiar, i.e. "not a natural waterway". In this instance, they quite possibly DO own the water where your boat is, and the "tides have turned" on you, so to speak, where you would be guilty of trespassing.

This is not a blanket statement covering all man-dug canals, as my understanding is that a lot of private waterways have been turned over to the state so the development/owners don't have to pay for maintenance.

But I'd sure hate to take a risk with it.

In any rate, it's really not worth a confrontation as there are litterally tons of lighted docks in any waterway. Jerks will be jerks, and it's best to just let them be.

-T