Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Took my 14' Lagoon Skiff Tail Chaser (Similar to a skimmer skiff 14... but better) 50 miles round trip from Beaufort to Cape lookout this weekend.
Did you get lost on the way to the Cape? How did you manage to turn that into a 50 mile run lol. Just messin, Sounds like a good time. The cape, and Shack are a blast.

Agree with everybody else, there can be some great fishing on a skiff up there, and you can fish well away from the pressure, and boat traffic. Drake just delivered a tiller Nomad to Beaufort, there are skiffs up there you just have to look. My buddy uses a16x48 flat bottom jon around there to duck hunt, and fish the creeks. Just be prepared to hold your fillings in your teeth when you cross some of that open water in that rig.

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
549 Posts
@FlyBy and I both fish Oak Island and bald head. Crossing Caps Fear sometime is tricky even in my big fat boat. Yea some sucking mud but on flood tide you can get on grass and it's hard. If you just stay in the IC You may be ok unless a large off shore boat swamps you. I've seen flats boats and lots of John boats all over that area
Seems like we all need to schedule a get together one day!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
My buddy Bryan lives in Wilmington and runs a 15ft Maverick up there. He fishes Masoborough Southport and the Cape Fear river out of it.
That’s good to hear. Masonboro is exactly where I fish. Basically just want to go to spots I already kayak out of and don’t want a big boat, so that’s encouraging if he runs around there with no issues.

·
Registered
14' Lagoon Skiff Tail Chaser
8 Posts
Did you get lost on the way to the Cape? How did you manage to turn that into a 50 mile run lol. Just messin, Sounds like a good time. The cape, and Shack are a blast.

Agree with everybody else, there can be some great fishing on a skiff up there, and you can fish well away from the pressure, and boat traffic. Drake just delivered a tiller Nomad to Beaufort, there are skiffs up there you just have to look. My buddy uses a16x48 flat bottom jon around there to duck hunt, and fish the creeks. Just be prepared to hold your fillings in your teeth when you cross some of that open water in that rig.
Only twice haha... Ran up the back side of cape lookout going north towards Davis too. Just trying to put some hours on the motor and cruising . Did a little top water fishing every time I saw a nice tidal pool. I'm going to have the skiff down in oak island this weekend so planning on getting up on the back side of baldhead and do some fishing!

·
Registered
161 Posts
It’s a good question as to why. I think there are a number of factors. One, more fishing options. We have the best offshore of any places that could make use of a flats skiff. I think a lot of people want more use than just a flats skiff. We have tons of flounder gigging. Offshore for mahi or tuna. Near shore for Spanish or false albies. Plus our rivers hold the biggest old drum. None of those types of fishing would be well done in a flats skiff.
Secondly none of our builders aside from Mitzi make flats skiff. Being born and raised in NC and living here now with the huge influx of non locals I can tell you this: Carolina folks like buying and doing things locally. That’s why you are so many intruders gradys Jones bros bay riders etc. Those boats are all made here. Most flats skiff comes from Florida. A handful coming from Sc but that doesn’t help here.

Third our water is rough. We get a lot of wind and the sounds are different than most other places people use flats skiffs. You really need to be careful. And I don’t think so many people want two boats. People try and generalize with boats.
I will say however that the outer banks are well designed for a flats boat. It’s just so far from everything that it’s not as recreational as other water we have in NC. But you get huge grass flats out there behind hatteras that hold tons of fish and don’t get hit by the recreational guys as much.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It’s a good question as to why. I think there are a number of factors. One, more fishing options. We have the best offshore of any places that could make use of a flats skiff. I think a lot of people want more use than just a flats skiff. We have tons of flounder gigging. Offshore for mahi or tuna. Near shore for Spanish or false albies. Plus our rivers hold the biggest old drum. None of those types of fishing would be well done in a flats skiff.
Secondly none of our builders aside from Mitzi make flats skiff. Being born and raised in NC and living here now with the huge influx of non locals I can tell you this: Carolina folks like buying and doing things locally. That’s why you are so many intruders gradys Jones bros bay riders etc. Those boats are all made here. Most flats skiff comes from Florida. A handful coming from Sc but that doesn’t help here.

Third our water is rough. We get a lot of wind and the sounds are different than most other places people use flats skiffs. You really need to be careful. And I don’t think so many people want two boats. People try and generalize with boats.
I will say however that the outer banks are well designed for a flats boat. It’s just so far from everything that it’s not as recreational as other water we have in NC. But you get huge grass flats out there behind hatteras that hold tons of fish and don’t get hit by the recreational guys as much.
For what it's worth..... granted it's more of a flats boat then a technical poling skiff but Egret is made in Washington, NC.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I moved from Titusville to SC and fished SC and NC for over a decade. I think a big factor is the huge tides. In reality you only get a few hours of your day where a super skinny skiff is helpful. Then the rest of the day it’s a hindrance. Compared to be able to go hit the skinny 24 hours a day in FL. You have to be really dedicated to that one purpose. People that nutty like myself are rare. I just dealt with all the negatives for those few moments on the flood or on the low tide sounds. But man did I catch some reds👍

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Anybody ever run small skiffs on Pamlico Sound and the Neuse? Thinking about running down there for the drum.

·
Registered
996 Posts
the good people at Ankona recommended the Cayenne when I asked which of their boats handled open water the best. I suspect the Native or the Shadowcast would be okay, but I think they may have narrower beams and less freeboard. not positive about that though, so happy to be corrected.
What is priority one? Shallow draft, poling well or open water capabilities?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a place in Oriental, have to pick your days for a skiff. The Neuse can get nasty quickly.
You are not kidding! I used to fish the big reds out that way a lot and the mouth of the Neuse can elevate the pucker factor really quick - especially when crossing at night. I've never done it in a skiff but have several times in my old offshore boats.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4 Posts
I am a long time kayak fisherman. My favorite type of fishing by far is chasing reds and flounder in skinny little creeks.

For a while now I have been wanting a 14-16 foot micro/poling skiff for two man fishing.

It seems like (for the most part) it’s extremely rare to see a micro/poling skiff on the water here in NC and you almost never see them for sale here. When I tell people the boat I want is an Ankona shadowcast 16, they usually respond with “man, you need something with a deeper v hull than that” not seeming to understand that the fishing I want to do is in skinny marshes.

Serious question, is there something I’m missing (like a safety factor) as to why almost no one uses microskiffs here compared to Florida and Texas? I know that the tides shifts are stronger here, but most people I talk to here don’t seem to agree with the practicality of a microskiff and typically advise me against it.
I live in the Jax area and my boys have moved to Utah and Western NC. Their microskiff (Ankona Salt Marsh) is sitting in my garage without any recent usage. I think it would be ideal for your uses. My boys fished in small creeks and flood tide areas in this locale. Reach out to me via PM and I will let you know more about it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4 Posts
I live in the Jax area and my boys have moved to Utah and Western NC. Their microskiff (Ankona Salt Marsh) is sitting in my garage without any recent usage. I think it would be ideal for your uses. My boys fished in small creeks and flood tide areas in this locale. Reach out to me via PM and I will let you know more about it.
In addition it is a great cast and blast boat for both ducks and rails. Good for your area

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thanks for reaching out. I PM’d you.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts