Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1501 - 1520 of 1534 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,810 Posts
Went out to fish for sheepies and specks and saw this old girl cruising the rocks. All I had was my 6wt Sage Sonic and Abel SDF 5/6. We watched her gills flare and suck in the fly in 16" of water. The rod was bent all the way into the handle and I was sure I was going to break the rod, the 12lb tippet or the hook, but I didn't let up on her. After 20 minutes or so of non stop pulling on her, she came boat side for a quick grip and grin. 47", 46-48lbs. I don't recommend big fish like this on a 6wt I gotta say, that Abel reel drag was tested hard. I guess that's one reason they cost so much. Anyway, as my good buddy @ifsteve said, "hey, there's a fix for that dummy...use the right tool for the job."
Water Sky Lake Outdoor recreation Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Fisherman Boat Lake Fish
Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle White

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,810 Posts
I took my son to Ascension Bay Lodge in Punta Allen, Mexico the week between Christmas and New Years. Here is his first Permit. 17.5 lbs on the guide's boga. His first of 4 (!) on the week.
Awesome permit! That is setting the bar pretty high for a first permit. Very cool.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
One time, I had just gotten out of the water and was at my truck putting my rod away and taking off my boots and waders and a family parks next to me in their mini-van. They asked me how the fishing was and I told them. They said their son, who looked to be about 8 was going the next day. I asked, "Fly fishing?"
They answered me back, "No, we have a reservation at a trout farm where they take the kids fishing."
I said, "Oh good. You don't want him to try fly fishing."
"Why is that?" they asked with a puzzled look.
I said, "Because then you'll never be able to keep him in school and you can forget about him becoming a doctor or a lawyer."

1501 - 1520 of 1534 Posts