Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1481 - 1500 of 1534 Posts

·
Registered
1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
29 Posts
13.8 feet deep?

Out here on the left coast my striper "spots" in the delta all are in the 12 to 15 feet deep range.
Target them in the Berkeley flats SF Bay same depth too.
thats correct although the area I fish varies. Fish can be on the shallow side or up to 30 or 35 feet where I target them with heavy full sinking lines.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
with heavy full sinking lines
My "go to" line is an old SA streamer express, 650 grains with intermediate shoot/running line on a Sage 9 wt. I'll fish that line until it breaks :) as it just casts so easy on that rod. Before that I was using 30' shooting heads with 20# mono shooting lines.

This year I got a few new lines from Cortland, one is their "Compact Sink type 9, 6/7 wt at 240 grains" .
Only lawn casted it on a 7 Scott and next few days will test it on a 6 wt rod which should be to heavy but learned long ago it cost nothing to try.

·
Registered
1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
29 Posts
My "go to" line is an old SA streamer express, 650 grains with intermediate shoot/running line on a Sage 9 wt. I'll fish that line until it breaks :) as it just casts so easy on that rod. Before that I was using 30' shooting heads with 20# mono shooting lines.

This year I got a few new lines from Cortland, one is their "Compact Sink type 9, 6/7 wt at 240 grains" .
Only lawn casted it on a 7 Scott and next few days will test it on a 6 wt rod which should be to heavy but learned long ago it cost nothing to try.
Like minds think a like. I have tried quite a few different sinking lines. The cortland compact type 9 has quickly become my favorite after recommendation from a guide. I fish the 425 grain on my 9 and 10wts. I just ordered their new cold salt series sink 8 and will try that next year as well. I really like there running lines. They stay supple and do not tangle like others I’ve used. Especially in colder temps.

1481 - 1500 of 1534 Posts