Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1461 - 1480 of 1693 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah the Boqueron is loaded with Tarpon. That lagoon at first light has like 500 Tarpon that all roll for like 5 minutes. Good Snook in there as well.

On a side note the surfing is amazing in that area. I want to go back just to surf!

You fish with Poche on the west coast?

One word of warning on Puerto Rico. Make good friends with guides or any local fisherman in areas you plan to fish. Some are quite possessive of their areas. I almost got punched in Vieques for catching a snook in some local guys spot. Kind words, and a cold beer, and if you ask somebody first and make it clear you are catch and release.. or possibly be prepared to hand over a snook for someone to eat.

You also need to check the lakes for Peacock bass. A kayak is essential down there... there are so many bodies of water to fish.

One last kind of negative thing to be prepared for is Fish and Game agents are non-existent down there. Be prepared to see people gill netting and all sorts of other practices that rape the fishery.

When I first fished Vieques like 15 years ago it was crazy good. I would rent a kayak and get maybe 20 snook and 5 or 6 small tarpon every time out. Every year it was less and less and i saw more people taking fish... yes they eat tarpon

Of course i want a fishery protected but when there is little to no work for the locals and they catching what they can to make a little money and feed the family... i cant make a judgement as a tourist playing with the food.

Good luck! I might ping you if i head that way to fish and surf.
I actually did fish with Pochy the first time I was out there. It was a good experience. I landed a huge tarpon but it was on the spinning rod. Anyway, I’m looking forward to fishing Boquerón Bay and seeing some of these tarpon rolling. Any specific area that you know of there? I was just going to begin by hitting some of the river mouths and some of the beaches that are always super calm.

That’s a crazy story about people being that territorial. But yeah once they realize that I am catch and release then it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve given fish to plenty of people as well. I don’t have a problem with that if I know that it is feeding somebody.

I don’t have a yak but hope to at some point in the future. And I am super pumped to do some peacock bass fishing on the fly. Where we are living there are a few lakes not too far that have good size peacock bass.

Were you surfing Rincón? We are about 40 minutes away. I don’t surf, but hear that the surfing is incredible there.

·
Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
947 Posts
1461 - 1480 of 1693 Posts