Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1021 - 1040 of 1071 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Getting back? I feel your pain :)
my hook up of a 4 foot Tarpon in Tampa Bay turned a 2 to 4 week fishing trip into years. :)
It ain't called fly fishing paradise for nothing :):cool::love::giggle:
If my job paid the same in Florida I would be happy to leave these Minnesota winters!!

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,606 Posts
Congrats on a stud Red. How many times in that 6-minute fight did you pray your knots would hold?
Love the moment the fly line got wrapped around the net handle....oh boy'...... you dodged that bullet!

·
Registered
161 Posts
SWEET! Congrats ! Glad somebody is catching some fish on the fly.

·
Registered
G3 16 CCJ
102 Posts
Congrats on a stud Red. How many times in that 6-minute fight did you pray your knots would hold?
Love the moment the fly line got wrapped around the net handle....oh boy'...... you dodged that bullet!
Thanks! Usually in those situations with a fly outfit I’m totally confident in the connections. However, for my leader butt to flyline connection, I recently switched from loop-to-loop to a nail knot and a couple friends insisted that I’d lose a fish sooner or later and be sorry. So that was in the back of my mind for sure. Yes the net handle could have been a disaster. Also, I trimmed up the trolling motor with the remote just seconds before the fish made a final run under the bow and that one could have otherwise wrecked the rod tip or sheared the line. The water was less than two feet deep so there weren’t a lot of options for protecting the rod.

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Boatworks 17'6" "Kentucky" technical poling skiff.
27 Posts
“Hey Matt, what are you up to?”

“Nothing much, just got home”

“Want to run out real quick before the tide flips?”

“Hell yeah! I’m on my way down!”

Love those phone calls!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just returned from a week in the Keys. Thankfully managed to get a few days in with a guide out of Big Pine. We really lucked out with some beautiful weather considering the front that's moving in this week.

Went 1/3 on juvi tarpon with a shrimpy toad. Also had multiple shots at laid up and cruising fish in the 80-120+lb range. Had several nice shots at permit, including a 25lb-er that tailed on an orange/tan/brown strong arm merkin but sadly never came tight and followed the fly all the way to the bow after the missed eat (that was a heartbreaker and will be haunting me for the foreseeable future). Finally got my first bonefish on the last flat we fished that day!

Few days later fished a canoe out of Flamingo, ENP for a few hours. Had some follows from snook and baby tarpon but no eats. Stopped by a canal on the way out of the park and landed my first peacock bass on an EP everglades special to save the day. Can't wait to come back!

·
Premium Member
325 Boatworks 17'6" "Kentucky" technical poling skiff.
27 Posts
Just returned from a week in the Keys. Thankfully managed to get a few days in with a guide out of Big Pine. We really lucked out with some beautiful weather considering the front that's moving in this week.

Went 1/3 on juvi tarpon with a shrimpy toad. Also had multiple shots at laid up and cruising fish in the 80-120+lb range. Had several nice shots at permit, including a 25lb-er that tailed on an orange/tan/brown strong arm merkin but sadly never came tight and followed the fly all the way to the bow after the missed eat (that was a heartbreaker and will be haunting me for the foreseeable future). Finally got my first bonefish on the last flat we fished that day!

Few days later fished a canoe out of Flamingo, ENP for a few hours. Had some follows from snook and baby tarpon but no eats. Stopped by a canal on the way out of the park and landed my first peacock bass on an EP everglades special to save the day. Can't wait to come back!

View attachment 169386

View attachment 169387

View attachment 169388
Awesome! I know exactly what canal you’re talking about and I got my first peacock there too! Fantastic! Congratulations!

1021 - 1040 of 1071 Posts