Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

721 - 740 of 774 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Picked up this one, last cast right at sunset.
That's a "silver fish" . neat how fish take on the coloring of their waters. Our fish, for the most part are a copper color in the creeks, from the tannin in the water. Our rivers and creeks are especially stained now from the drainage after all the rain we've been having. Was that fished caught mostly in a sandy area?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,061 Posts
That's a "silver fish" . neat how fish take on the coloring of their waters. Our fish, for the most part are a copper color in the creeks, from the tannin in the water. Our rivers and creeks are especially stained now from the drainage after all the rain we've been having. Was that fished caught mostly in a sandy area?
The one my buddy caught an hour earlier was all coppered up. Mine looked like it had just swam in from the beachfront to the marsh and hadn't got the darker colors. We talked about it on the boat for ride home.

Reactions: eightwt

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #724 (Edited)
Posting for Robbie (a.k.a. rspehn here on microskiff). Interesting story with Robbie. One of the Redfly tournaments a couple of years ago, that Jon Bull puts on each year (a.k.a. Shadow Cast) in Riverview, FL, I pulled up to the check-in Capts meeting in the early a.m. and Jon was announcing if anyone had an open spot on their boat, that there was an entry that came all the way over from Orlando to fish the tourney with another guy, but that guy bailed on him. So he was stuck with no way to fish. So I was fishing alone that time and waited to see if someone else would step up and let him fish with them (knowing good and well that I was going to take him regardless). But even the single entries didn't offer him a ride. I really couldn't believe that and then quickly offered to take him to fish with me.

Conditions were tough during that tourney and a front came thru and my spots that I planned to fish shut down. Bottom line was, we didn't catch much, but we became friends and stayed in touch. So lately we've been out a few times and the fishing was ok, but we've been jellin as fishing buddies. I took him out once when he was skiffless and now I'm skiffless with my skiff tied up in the shop with covid shutdown issues. So you never know.

So anyway....he came over to fish with me and brought his sweet Mav HPX-V17 with a purrrring 90 Yami 2-burner. Very fishy guy and skiff! So we did a variety of fishing, including finding these drum that was set up next to the snook on the beach near a stump (school of snook on one side and a school of drum on the other). I tied on one of my lil crabs and Robbie dialed right into those fish.

Hardy-Zephyrus-9wt-Permit-Crab-Fly-Ted-Haas-2-800dpi.jpg

This is the crab fly, but not the rod he used. I tied one on a TFO Axion IIx 7wt I've been playing around with and handed it to Robbie and he went to work on those fish.

Robbie-Spehn-Black-Drum-on-Fly-#2-1024dpi.jpg

Robbie-Spehn-Black-Drum-on-Fly-#1-1024dpi.jpg

It was a good day and a good time! Caught snook and drum. Oh and something else (pics later).

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,097 Posts
Captiva Island snook on a crystal schminnow while walking the beach...

The small males were tight to the edge right in the trough. Easily inside of 5-10'.

The big females were moving up and down the beach at mach 5 maybe 20' out from the water's edge.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
29 Posts
Posting for Robbie (a.k.a. rspehn here on microskiff). Interesting story with Robbie. One of the Redfly tournaments a couple of years ago, that Jon Bull puts on each year (a.k.a. Shadow Cast) in Riverview, FL, I pulled up to the check-in Capts meeting in the early a.m. and Jon was announcing if anyone had an open spot on their boat, that there was an entry that came all the way over from Orlando to fish the tourney with another guy, but that guy bailed on him. So he was stuck with no way to fish. So I was fishing alone that time and waited to see if someone else would step up and let him fish with them (knowing good and well that I was going to take him regardless). But even the single entries didn't offer him a ride. I really couldn't believe that and then quickly offered to take him to fish with me.

Conditions were tough during that tourney and a front came thru and my spots that I planned to fish shut down. Bottom line was, we didn't catch much, but we became friends and stayed in touch. So lately we've been out a few times and the fishing was ok, but we've been jellin as fishing buddies. I took him out once when he was skiffless and now I'm skiffless with my skiff tied up in the shop with covid shutdown issues. So you never know.

So anyway....he came over to fish with me and brought his sweet Mav HPX-V17 with a purrrring 90 Yami 2-burner. Very fishy guy and skiff! So we did a variety of fishing, including finding these drum that was set up next to the snook on the beach near a stump (school of snook on one side and a school of drum on the other). I tied on one of my lil crabs and Robbie dialed right into those fish.

View attachment 140824

This is the crab fly, but not the rod he used. I tied one on a TFO Axion IIx 7wt I've been playing around with and handed it to Robbie and he went to work on those fish.

View attachment 140826

View attachment 140828

It was a good day and a good time! Caught snook and drum. Oh and something else (pics later).

Thanks for the kind works Ted, It is always a learning experience on the water and especially when you are with someone that has as much "on the water" time as you do. We will definitely be back at it soon!

Robbie

·
Registered
361 Posts
Chasing the big minnows in the Everglades.
9FA0E485-DD05-4F9C-8930-352A45F4B2F3.jpeg
A1898975-BCB6-4031-B86F-87F1B25566A6.jpeg
7C3B402D-2CE7-493A-BEBA-BB9ED67AE72D.jpeg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Connor, I want to hear more about AJ’s on the fly. I will be targeting them later this Summer. I would love to get them on poppers. I need to tie some of those NYAPs.

721 - 740 of 774 Posts