Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mostly Harmless
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just moved to Montgomery Village, MD and I need to find a fish, preferably one that is red with a black spot on its tail... and I'd rather not dredge a cracked crab in 20' of water to do it since I will be limited to a push pole for power for the near future. Any advice? I have a boat to finish, but it is still good a good time to start gathering intel.

Nate

·
Brandon, FL
9,951 Posts
I don't live there but I have a buddy that does and if you would like I can make an introduction to get you into the duck club up there.

·
I have no idea what I'm doing here
21 Posts
I live in Arlington, VA and just bought a used Peenoe SportCanoe. Have no idea yet what I'm gonna do with it, but I'll probably need help!

-Spud

·
I have no idea what I'm doing here
21 Posts
I used to do a lot of smallmouth fishing up and down the mid-Atlantic out of a kayak, but since getting married and having 3 kids, I haven't done much of that.  Having said that, I've also done all kinds of fishing all kinds of places from B.C. to Belize.  Getting my Peenoe is a way to get out fishing with my kids now that they are a bit older--they love fishing!

That redfish in my avatar is from FL, I'm afraid. (I'm, not sure anybody here knows what a smallie is, so I put that salty fish up ;) )  I believe the closest place to DC to consistently find some reds (puppy drum) on true flats is probably the back side of the Outer Banks--Pamlico Sound, Albermarle Sound.  I haven't done it, but I have read about it.  The season is limited due to climate, but NC is not as far as you think and the trip is certainly doable on a long weekend. So that may be a challenge for you, and maybe for me someday soon!

I am just gettig started repairing and learning about my new (used) skiff, so I would be grateful for any of your experience you might share in that regard.

-Spud

·
Mostly Harmless
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Careful about asking my boat fixin' advice.  I am "special" and have a from-scratch boat in the garage that is waiting for epoxy weather to return.  Sadly, my garage is not the dedicated workshop it once was, so I can't heat it and the cold is putting me way behind schedule!  Asking my advice regarding working on a boat right now is like asking a crackhead who needs a fix about the best OTC med for the common cold.  God only knows what I might say.

With that disclaimer out of the way, whatcha got going on?

[smiley=good-vs-evil.gif]

Nate

T

·
0 Posts
I live in Arlington, VA and just bought a used Peenoe SportCanoe.  Have no idea yet what I'm gonna do with it, but I'll probably need help!

-Spud

I grew up in Arlington. Moved down to Florida 4 1/2 years ago from Fairfax.

If you are interested in shallow water sight fishing it's going to be pretty much limited to The Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries.

A friend of mine who still lives in Arlington does a lot of kayak fishing in shallow water for Stripers. Look at some kayak forums for info.

There is also a member of this forum "ko"who fishes those areas with a Dragonfly Skiff. Send him a PM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts