Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding a small center console to a 18' panga marine (tiller 40hp honda). Maybe naïve, but I'm interested in narrower center consoles to preserve interior space--ideally 15" wide or so. Does anyone know of companies that will sell their consoles? The plan would be a small console to serve as grab-bar and for mounting electronics, then eventually converting to remote steering if repower the skiff. I would have preferred Ankona but I don't think they sell theirs piecemeal (which is of course their prerogative, which I respect).
I have no experience glassing or I'd try myself, but expect I'd take a very long time and a lot of money to do something quite poorly.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the response. I almost mentioned marinefiberglassdirect in the post--they do sell consoles, but I'm specifically looking for something even smaller (specifically narrower) than what they offer. I'm looking for the type of smaller consoles that often get put in microskiffs, ideally 15" wide or so.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
PM sent, may seem high... but would be custom, light, and not sprayed from a chop gun with 4 gallons of excess resin. That said, a 15-16” wide console will probably require either a side mount control box or what I would use is a rear mounted/flush side control box like used in bow riders. When the time comes of course.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I got one I can sell you. For about half of those advertised prices. I will get measurements for you. It’s a bit wider than 15”. But just enough to do a top mount binnacle. Very similar to the one Jsrimeo posted. But with a flange at the base. So you have the option of screwing and glueing with 5200. Or can add a door. So you can tab with glass from inside. With no seat/bait well in front.
Where are you located? I’m in SWFL

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
If it were me... I'd contact any builder that has a console I liked - and ask them to make you one... Small builders are always looking for ways to make their existing molds profitable (and a mold sitting unused is not only taking up space it's just not making any money at all..). Yes, large scale production outfits probably have little time to spare for small items as they do their best to fill existing orders - but you'll never know unless you give them a call...

"Aren't boats fun? "

One thing to beware of though... I've had a fairly small console on my old Maverick for many years - but never again... If you're a DIY type and do all your own wiring and rigging - you'll absolutely detest working up inside a nice small console... Just another of those "ask me how I know moments"....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a Todd console on my 16' Glen-L skiff and it worked fine. Lightweight and strong, but a little spendy. I "think" they have them down to 13" wide.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing to beware of though... I've had a fairly small console on my old Maverick for many years - but never again... If you're a DIY type and do all your own wiring and rigging - you'll absolutely detest working up inside a nice small console... Just another of those "ask me how I know moments"....
Thank you for the response Capt. Lemay. It's quite possible I should be careful with what I'm asking for. I've built cardboard console replicas so I can gauge size, but yeah, writing would be harder. If it were you (and others feel free to chime in here), would 18" wide be more comfortable? Again, I'm most concerned with width so as to not overwhelm the modest beam, there is plenty of room in the cockpit bit a deeper (fore-aft) console so long as it's not too wide.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most builders in my experience don’t want to sell them. For fear of someone splashing their design.
18”w 24”h 18” low point in front
It’s covered in dirt from being in my shop. Buy it all buff out nice. If you look close you can see my layout lines
That looks nice. I'm in N. Florida (Gainesville) but can travel. I'll PM you.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PM sent, may seem high... but would be custom, light, and not sprayed from a chop gun with 4 gallons of excess resin. That said, a 15-16” wide console will probably require either a side mount control box or what I would use is a rear mounted/flush side control box like used in bow riders. When the time comes of course.
Thanks for the response and PM, and I'll get back to you. If it were your boat, should I assume you'd do a slightly wider console for comfort and rigging?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This narrow enough? This is almost half the width of my last center console. I’d have to get some measurements for you.
Jsromeo288, that looks really nice. Was this something you built or bought? Sorry if that is a silly question, I haven't kept up enough on MS to know everyone by their names.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
174 Posts
Jsromeo288, that looks really nice. Was this something you built or bought? Sorry if that is a silly question, I haven't kept up enough on MS to know everyone by their names.
thats actually the console going on my new biscayne 17. But I’m sure if you wanted one the owner Manny would be make one for you. I really liked this console because it’s super narrow and it has a huge access door in the front to get inside and have easy access to everything. It’s a great looking console!
DFE03784-E779-4BDE-AFDD-995ADE664F86.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Thanks for the response and PM, and I'll get back to you. If it were your boat, should I assume you'd do a slightly wider console for comfort and rigging?
Actually, I am planning on about 16-18” with a flush side mount control like mentioned earlier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts