Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own three.best reel being made.
I own Tibors too they're nice too astheticly,
But wish they had type 3 galvanic seal like the makos.imo.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I had one customer who came equipped with Charlton reels..... Very nice (maybe even outstanding...) but way too much money... for me..

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Reminds me of one or two bookings back in my days on charter boats where we went to pick up our customers - but weren't allowed to set foot off the dock onto the resort's property..... Given what was going on back in the early seventies they might have had a point... along with customers that might have had pretty much unlimited funds...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I fished one a couple days. Nice reel for sure, but the drag went from 0 to lockdown in half a turn.
It can be Tricky when fighting Tarpon.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
those things weigh a ton - unless you really need the stopping power, a comparitivley lightweight nautilus works a lot better on the new lightweight rods - to me at least. Not saying it is not an awesome machine, but it would be too heavy for me to consider.

·
Registered
48 Posts
those things weigh a ton - unless you really need the stopping power, a comparitivley lightweight nautilus works a lot better on the new lightweight rods - to me at least. Not saying it is not an awesome machine, but it would be too heavy for me to consider.
My thoughts exactly...their 4” Inshore reel weighs 11.7. That’s almost as heavy a a Tibor Pacific! Just perfect for your 8wt.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I ordered the reel, canceled the order because I couldn’t wrap my head around the weight, talked to a few guys, put the order through again.

Interestingly enough, last night I was just as excited to try out a new line on the rod as I was the reel. I made a half dozen casts under the street light and the line was great. As I walked inside I realized I hadn’t paid attention to the reel weight and I didn’t feel a difference while casting. I was very surprised that there wasn’t a longer period of getting used to it, as I was told by someone who fishes them a lot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ordered the reel, canceled the order because I couldn’t wrap my head around the weight, talked to a few guys, put the order through again.

Interestingly enough, last night I was just as excited to try out a new line on the rod as I was the reel. I made a half dozen casts under the street light and the line was great. As I walked inside I realized I hadn’t paid attention to the reel weight and I didn’t feel a difference while casting. I was very surprised that there wasn’t a longer period of getting used to it, as I was told by someone who fishes them a lot.
It’s a damned fine looking piece for sure! I’ve never even seen on in person but I’m sure they have incredible build quality.

·
Registered
797 Posts

I agree with you about the weight. Never bothered me on my "heavy" Tibors either. I enjoy sight fishing whether for redfish, bonefish...etc. we have been out on days where we have 10 shots and then days where we have had 100 shots. Never noticed the weight and I have run a 9-10 Signature on an 8wt just to try it. Was nice having a large wheel and all that line pickup for the bonefish and the reel never felt heavy. Hopefully the reel manufactures will start including those little 2.5lb dumbbells with their logo on them so we can all get in shape for the flats.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts