Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to point fingers or call anyone out so I will start. My fishing buddy/camera guy and I have been talking for the better part of 5 years about building our own micro skiff. Three years ago or so we started talking more seriously and I went so far as to purchase a set of Bateau plans but that is as far as it went for a couple years all the while I lurked around here getting ideas. Late April of last year I decided it was time to build and I ordered two more sets of prints (Bateau FS 14 LS and Salt Boatworks FRS-14) that I could run an existing tiller collecting dust in my shop. I went back and forth every week it felt like between the three trying to decide which fit my wants/needs most.

New Years Eve while at work I decided 2020 would be my year to build so I quickly went online before I talked myself out of it and ordered 7 sheets of 6mm, 12 yards or 6# glass, resin, fairing compound, graphite, paint, a grab bar, and a whole slew of stuff in the sum of $3k. That was it, I was now committed to make this build happen! Deliveries began to flood in and I didn't realize in all my excitement until my bride went home for lunch to a porch full of packages that I had not visited with her about what we were doing. Considering we are nearing retirement and investing most of our disposable income in preparation to, it went over like a turd in a punch bowl.

My goal is to complete the build this winter. Working the DuPont Schedule as a Senior Lead Electric Transmission Operator gives me seven days off in a row every month so hopefully I will come in ahead of schedule?! I have one more sheet to cut then I can start scarphing then stitching. If all goes to plan, "Skipjack" (the builds name) will be zip tied together with seams epoxied within two weeks.

My point in posting this is simply to say, don't give up on your dream! Life will often "get in the way" but keep that fire going and set goals. If your goal isn't met, set another and keep on keeping on! It took me the better part of five years to start my build but do you know what, I finally started!

Following winds and fair seas,

Michael

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good stuff, looking forward to the build!
Thank you. There are a couple modifications I have made to make it mine. The reverse chines sold me on the FRS-14 but I really like the layout of the FS 14 LS and the Beavertail micro’s spray rail. It will either be the most bad arse micro ever or it will sink like a rock...I’m shooting for the first. Oh, my goal is also to come in at 150 lbs and draft 3”- solo too. At 14’ x 50” that might be a little too ambitious but we shall see.

Michael

·
Brandon, FL
10,949 Posts
Funny guy!:D I gotta stay away from the pizza truck, I’m fat enough and that pizza is da bomb!:) Yeah, no, I’ll be goin back!
He used to right down the street from me. Phenomenal pizza. Then he moved north and some Mexican set up shop where he used to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts