Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a different river boat a little while back. This is to replace my old battle wagon that I shouldn't have sold, it didn't have a false floor so burnt feet wasn't a problem. I picked up some outdoor carpet from Lowe's, seems to be the exact same thing as the marine carpet I have seen and it was not too expensive. I also picked up some of the 3M spray adhesive. Is there anything I need to do, or that you guys would suggest before I start. This thing isn't a show piece but I don't want it to look all assed up either.

I have watched a few youtube videos but still can't figure out how guys get really clean looking seams...?

All input appreciated.

LH

·
Fly-By-Night
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Planned on waiting for decent weather, but boredom from this storm got the better of me. Got the floor and front deck/bulkhead sections cut.

Also started figuring out how I'm going to mount rod holders. I'll need to do a bit of chamfering on the bases but will still avoid having to screw/rivet into the hull sides.
Roof Grass Automotive exterior Daylighting Boat

·
Registered
950 Posts
Make damn sure the aluminum is CLEAN!!! I’d personally take a sanding block to it just to make a less slick surface for the glue to hold to. Then don’t skimp on the glue. Work 1ft sections at a time. Start at the stern and work forward. Make sure not to have air pockets and get the carpet tight. Don’t skimp on the glue(especially the edges) recarpeted my grandfathers old fisher a few times in my life.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
15,034 Posts
When you rough the aluminum up have your carpet, cement and everything ready to go because once you rough aluminum up and open fresh material to the atmosphere it begins to oxidize right away and if you wait too long the oxidation will leave a layer of powder that nothing will stick to and your carpet will not adhere well.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I made some pine bases for my rod holders as shown above. There were sealed with 2 coats of UV stable poly. I used untreated wood because treated wood and aluminum do not get along at all when the wood gets wet. I am planning on just gluing these to the inside of the gunnel with 4200. Does this sound reasonable?

Nice thing about an AL boat is the consequence of failure is not a big deal. Just a ss wire wheel on a grinder and you're ready to start over in a few minutes.

·
Registered
950 Posts
So I made some pine bases for my rod holders as shown above. There were sealed with 2 coats of UV stable poly. I used untreated wood because treated wood and aluminum do not get along at all when the wood gets wet. I am planning on just gluing these to the inside of the gunnel with 4200. Does this sound reasonable?

Nice thing about an AL boat is the consequence of failure is not a big deal. Just a ss wire wheel on a grinder and you're ready to start over in a few minutes.
Until electrolysis starts to happen......

·
Fly-By-Night
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,543 Posts
I am planning on just gluing these to the inside of the gunnel with 4200. Does this sound reasonable?
I glued my wood blocks for rod holders in my rolled-edge bay boat with 5200. That was Oct. 2002. They're still there.

Reactions: LowHydrogen
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.