Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I often wonder… how do we know who is an actual licensed “captain” here in Texas? I have speculated to myself that all names listed here are not licensed.
Have to be a fairly brave soul to guide coastal waters sans license!

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
16,773 Posts
It seems to me our most excellent and efficient government agencies could, in their infinite wisdom, find a way to let someone find out if the guide they want to book is actually a "licensed" guide? Is that so wrong?
You don’t need an agency to do what you can do your self. Ask to see their card with their merchant mariner number and at least have their OUPV credentials. If they can’t produce that they are not a licensed guide. You can click the first link and look them up in the system.
I keep mine in a waterproof pouch inside my Pelican case on my skiff. If they are accepting money in exchange for fishing trips they are breaking the law and you can report them. I’ve reported several fake guides here on the Texas coast over the past few years that were using social media to drum up trips and were actually not licensed guides. When you go through the actual process and sit in classes for a couple of weeks, pay your fees and keep your license updated it really feels like these fake ass guides are kicking you in the nuts when you realize they are cheating the system.
I’m glad you reminded me, it’s almost time for me to update mine.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts