Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Ankona Shadowcast 16
63 Posts
There are two fly shops in Rockport
Swan Point - Orvis shop - Dave Hayward store Mgr and will be big help
I known Dave 20 years- his knowledge Rockport & its guides will get you started 361-729-7926.
New shop in town - dont know these guy yet!
The Fly Trap
(361) 450-1691
[email protected]
Rockport is the Epicenter of Flyfishing on the Texas Coast

I fish the upper coast out of Houston and fish with hell of good Fly guide in this area Rich Gardner Galveston of the Fly 832 7237413

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely give Dave at Swan Point a call. The guy is a wealth of knowledge, a damn good fly fisherman, and a good guy to boot. He sold me my first fly rod for the salt about 30 years ago when he was the manager at Orvis Houston.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Alvin Dedeaux guides out of Aransas Pass. Had a great trip with him last November. I'd get something booked fast as fall is a pretty busy time for guides.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
What’s THE best time window for reds of fly in that area? Is late-Sept - early Oct a little too soon?
It is starting now. All of October is usually fantastic. I had my trip with Alvin in early November. All of November can be good depending on the arrival of the first serious front etc.

Reactions: Tdekle2

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am surprised no-one has mentioned JT Van Zandt. Great guide, usually launches out of Goose Island, at least that is where I run into him the most. Eric Knipling is also great and very funny. Even though he is a Rockport guide he can also fish you a little farther north near and at Port O'Connor. Billy Trimble is always a great choice. Drew Donaghue if you want to fish a little farther south, between and Rockport and Port A. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
All great guides..... JT is an excellent guide, as are many others. I would also add Chuck Naiser to the list as he is one of the original Rockport guides. William Townsend is also super fishy and fishes more up around Corpus and south, which can be a great location to escape the pressure. Eric Knipling is a superb guide and a blast with which to fish. I think he fishes both the new Black Duck skiff, as well as his Chittum. I also hear good things about Fly Fish Rockport. To further mix things up, Matt Dodson is a newer guide in the area but has fished the area for years. Super nice fellow.
Best,

Reactions: Tdekle2

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Forgot to add Joe Desrosier. He's a local guide and is seemingly always on the fish. Blue Lagoon Lodge is his website and he does some lodging and FINE cooking as well. Did I mention he's a gourmet cook? Seriously.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts