Whitening?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by MariettaMike, Sep 18, 2012.

1. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

I didn't realize how yellow the console on my boat was until I bought a new top for the release well from Dolphin. The deck and cockpit floor isn't near as faded, but it has a different finish.

While I'm moving batteries and wiring around I can take all the hardware off the console and try to buff off the tarnish with rubbing compound. But before I go to all that trouble I would like to get some confirmation that it can be done.

Any experience out there?

[​IMG]

PS: those JIF peanut butter jars in the background make better dry tackle storage than my hard case pelicans because: the soft double wall plastic doesn't make as much noise when you drop one, you can see what's in it easier from any angle, and when you're red solo cup cracks you can dump your stuff out and make a drink in it. Except for the one the pro cure was in.

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

They yellowing is oxidation. It can be clean to some degree but it will not be as white as the new lid.

There is a post on here not too long ago of someone who did their entire hull and it came out fantastic.

3. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

I used Buff magic followed by Pro Polish and it was pretty easy. Ducknut is right it will be better and very shiny but I think the yellowing gets deep.

4. ASB73

ASB73 Well-Known Member

Wets sand with 400, 800 then 1000 and wax it up

5. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

Buff Magic starts at 400 grit and as you work it turns to 2000. Much easier than sanding if you have a buffer. But sanding sure works nice :)

6. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

starting out @ 400g is asking for trouble,you're gonna sand right through the gel...

then wax ? you forgot something,compound...

if you're smart,you're gonna forget all these "miracle" products - stick with what works...

3m heavy cut compound,followed by waxing with colonite fleet wax - you're gonna need a real variable speed buffer - not a toy orbital waxing product,use the compound with the buffer,followed by waxing...

as far as getting the color to match - it's gonna come close,but,it will never be a 100% match,the gel coat,it ages,shrinks and color fades...

7. ASB73

ASB73 Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem starting with 400 and in fact I just did my dolphin console with this method.
    I used the all in 1 3m cleaner and wax and not a separate compound and wax. It looks killer