Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did not plan to sell this piece of skiff history. Am very focused on fishing that requires a 12 degree. I fished her a couple months in TX, fixed her up & been sitting in my garage. So decided to offer the conservatorship of this skiff to the MS community:

1998 - Whipray 16, Hull #7, low chine, raw glass in hatches. Hand built for Ted Jurascik by Chris Morejohn. CM cites this boat as his lightest Whipray 16 ever: 305 pound hull. I believe this whole rigged boat weighs 600 lbs without fuel, gear.
  • 1999 Mercury 25 2 stroke tiller w/ electric start and power trim, oversized tilt motor and titanium tilt brackets— this was Tom Gordon’s personal Merc 25 on his Ambush. buyer will receive an additional parts Merc 25
  • Carbon Marine tiller extension, with red rope work and Bahamian bonefish coin (thanks to @Snookdaddy)
  • 2 x 6 gallon portable fuel tanks, just bought a spare one
  • Fore & aft lockers, crustacean well- we are getting gray felt carpet for the aft locker just as Ted had it.
  • Bare bones: no floor, no running or anchor lights
  • 6 forward facing under gunnel rod tubes
  • New electrotab trim tab rams
  • 1 AGM battery for: trim tabs, electric start, power tilt & bilge pump
  • 2005 RamLin galvanized trailer with removable tongue and old school mag wheels
Full rehab by Chittum in 2018/2019:

• Imron paint 2 shades of guide green to match the original boat: hull (light guide green) & full topside (brighter guide green). New non-skid.
  • Transom rebuilt with Coosa coring and carbon accent
  • Original poling platform powder coated black
  • SeaDek on poling platform & under gunnels
  • New helm bench cushion
  • New wiring and carbon switch panel.
  • New rub rail
  • New fuel line
  • Gas shocks for hatches, with carbon backing plates
  • Push button hatch latches
  • New hatch hinges.
  • All through hull fittings replaced: bilge pump outlet, sump drain, crab well drain.
  • New trim tab rams with triangular carbon backing plates on transom; black powder coating on the tabs.
* What we removed from Ted’s boat: bow cleat, trolling motor plate on bow, fly rod tow rail, bungee cords on front bulkhead, old slow Bennett trim tabs
** This conservation project was aimed to keep the super light, austere beauty, functionality and intent of Ted’s original build. There is a slight nod to Chittum in terms of accents, a big one on the quality and details of the rebuild of Hal’s original boat. Working with Hal, George & Shane on this one was a great experience.
  • Provenance: Ted Juracsik 1998-2016; @Snookdaddy 2016-2018; @Stevie 2018-present
  • Available in Stuart, FL area
  • $35k - the quality / weight of this restored boat are unique ... this is a collectible that you can use.

Grateful to MS for the opportunity to acquire, conserve and offer this skiff.
** Best to PM me to exchange mobile #’s if you have interest** or email:

[email protected]

00585880-57AF-42DF-9229-B2F3E2C70345.jpeg
A340FB92-9D5C-4FEA-9FA0-C43A1A825BE9.jpeg
AAEEAC4C-7853-4BE0-9F25-906D7B467674.jpeg
22678FA2-FEB7-4F69-AE72-AA9F7A548FAD.jpeg
8D2C6238-D055-4CCA-8958-AF93BF058974.jpeg
F342063F-0C38-48EF-85BC-60AD90C2456D.jpeg
CE286223-B587-487F-8448-74D66C29D29B.jpeg
DF324306-6043-421E-A7AE-2BB938350E6A.jpeg

Attachments

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,380 Posts
Very cool. Hopefully the new owner will treat it as well and appreciate the history of this skiff.

·
waterman 16
297 Posts
Had the privilege of looking around this boat, both in Ted's shed and at "The Shop". I wouldn't have thought it could be made better, but I was wrong. Piece of art. Great stuff.

I hope no one needs to ask what a "snok" is.... hint: it's Hungarian.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
532 Posts
Wow Stevie, thanks for the memories.
To give a bit more details to this skiffs history Ted requested that the interior not be gelcoated to save weight. This is the only skiff under my watch at HB that we ever did this way.
The crab Crustacean Crevice hatch design I drew by hand and then took the drawing to an engraver. They etched out my drawing onto a thin piece of plastic which I glued onto the plug. The crab Crustacean Crevice detail was Flips idea.
Mako Marine built a skiff and immediately named their baitwell the same thing. Their skiff never went anywhere.
If you look up under the bow there might be the names of the guys that helped build this skiff. My name, Sam Whitmore, Stan Nash...
The cockpit drain is new I believe from your restoration.
All the nonskid raised pattern look I made from plywood patterns then carefully routed out over Formica that had a leather pattern to it. Was real tricky to glue onto the deck plug alone under a plastic tarp shed. This nonskid was Flips idea. Looked great, just was too slippery.
The hull and all parts were laid up by hand using brushes and rollers out of buckets. The core is Dyvinycell 1/2” core glued in by hand. At this time in HB history it was just me and Stan Nash along with an older gentleman named Jim Melton building the skiffs. I had some 18 year old kids there too. Sam Whitmore learned the trade and ended up building most all of the Waterman skiffs during my time at HB.
During this time Hal was down in the keys running his HTCHITTUM stores. We talked via the phone.
My original design called for the upper spray rail to be 3” higher than what you see on this skiff. Flip wanted it lower. It’s a drier hull than the next version but it can make a bit of noise in choppy conditions. Did not bother Ted though. We raised the chine up to my original design height after 18 hulls were built.
It’s an interesting fact that resin wears off or degrades if left bare to the elements over time. Even under floors and out of the sunlight. I know this having cut open many a cockpit floor. It’s only cosmetic.
If I had known back in 97-98 that these builds would hold such a value I should have buried a bunch for my retirement.
Thanks for caring so much for this skiff.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
532 Posts
Just to add to this skiffs time frame. When it was built the base price we were asking was $9,600.00. You then added motor, trailer and so on. I have my master list for the first 360 skiffs built and all prices paid and so on.
The industry has come a long ways now in details and finish work. I sure have learned lots from the time of this simple 16” skiffs time of build.
The bulkheads in this skiff were just glassed in place and faired out by me along with the cockpit. This skiff cost Ted new over half of what an Eldora skiff is going for today with no deck hatches.
The Eldora hull is built from the mold we built off of this hull when cutting down the spray rail to get to the new and current height of these skiffs.
To me Teds updated skiff is a deal that should be looked at if considering the New Eldora model.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I was fortunate to obtain this skiff from "Tibor" Ted Juracsik in Chokoloskee a few years ago and kept it bone stock and garaged when not in use. Ted was gracious enough to signed the skiff under the back hatch.

Stevie and the crew at Chittum Skiffs have done an amazing job in restoring this skiff back to new condition. Like C Morejohn stated, I would consider this boat over the new Eldora as it is much lighter, has great storage and was owned by the founder of Tibor fly reels for most of it's life.

Beautiful skiff for someone that would like to own a piece of HB & Tibor history and have the lightest HB in history.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Beautiful skiff and restoration. Thanks for sharing the history! I've dealt with Stevie twice and can assure you his representation of the skiff will be accurate, he is very fair to deal with and will deliver a quality product. As to Chittum, there is no one else that I would rather have do this type of restoration.
All the best,
Matt

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Beautiful skiff and restoration. Thanks for sharing the history! I've dealt with Stevie twice and can assure you his representation of the skiff will be accurate, he is very fair to deal with and will deliver a quality product. As to Chittum, there is no one else that I would rather have do this type of restoration.
All the best,
Matt
Agreed stand up dude for sure.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts