Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Which three bank charger?

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  pstoddard 
#1 ·
The three bank charger on my hewes bayfisher finally needs to be replaced. What are some recommendations for a good unit? Two of the banks are connected to the 24v trolling motor system and one goes to the cranking battery. I do not keep the charger plugged in when on the trailer. Just plug it in after using the trolling motor for a day of fishing. Would like to get one that is able to charge the batteries overnight so amp recommendations for the charger would be appreciated also.

forgot to mention they are AGM batteries

thank you for any info

#7 ·
I have the 5 amp/ bank noco. If I'm really hard on the TM all day in wind/current and deeply discharge my group 27's, the noco won't completely charge them overnight (if I'm out till dark and staring again at daylight the next morning). The 10 amp/ bank is better suited if that's your use case.

#17 ·
After my second Power Mania failed (although they replaced the first one hassle free....although they had changed the physical size such that it didn't mount to the same holes) I gave up on them. There is a reason ECS quit using them.

Now I use a quick disconnect system so the charger doesn't stay in the skiff. When I need to charge the TM batteries is a just two quick snaps and done. And I am using ProMariners.

#18 ·
Got an older Pro Mariner Pro Sport 20 Plus for same setup you speak of. It works and I assume has held up since install on the skiff when new (2012) . They still make it, the HD model.

#21 ·
Here are two reasons to purchase something other than a NOCO. (1) A friend reports that two NOCO chargers boiled his batteries. NOCO determined that his charger was fine, so he didn't bother reporting the second one that failed. (2) My NOCO is shocking me by putting a 60 VAC potential on all the battery contacts, which electrifies the boat and trailer when it's been washed down after a trip. The charger has to go back to the company for evaluation. We'll see if NOCO concludes my charger is fine as well. I'm looking into the Victron chargers now.