Which prop for my gheenoe classic with 15hp johnson?

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by Hurricaneredbone, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Hurricaneredbone

Hurricaneredbone I Love microskiff.com!

I just bought this boat and it has a solas amita 4 high thrust. This prop is designed to be used on a kicker for a sailboat, not ideal for a gheenoe. I am thinking about the amita 3 to increase top speed a bit and bring the bow down a bit. Its a cheap prop, and is readily available in 9.25" in several pitches. I dont know which pitch to get though... I can get 7-12 inch pitch. Anybody have any advice on which pitch to get? Wot should be between 5-6000rpm...

2. If I had to guess it would be either a 11 or 12, I had a Lowe 1436 Jon with a 15 yami and it ran a 12 pitch, at around 6000 rpms, fast little boat would run 29 mph all day solo but once I put trolling motor, group 27 battery, full gas and 2 people I went down to a 11 and only lost a few mph. So get a tach see where you at with Rpms and also how much weight you have

3. Hurricaneredbone

Hurricaneredbone I Love microskiff.com!

So i read that the original prop for this motor is. 9.25" x 10" pitch. Unfortunately i dont know how that prop would run on my boat n load, i am think abut getting the amita 4 to get better holeshot, but im wondering: since 4 blades reduce top speed but increase torque, cant you just get a higher pitch 4 blade to get the best of both?