which camera...

Discussion in 'Photo Hut' started by mcjakershaker89, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mcjakershaker89

mcjakershaker89 I Love microskiff.com!

i know you guys probly get this question all the time... but i have really been diggin photography latley, and i want to get a nice camera, but i know nothing about them. i was originally was gonna get one of those waterproof pentax point and shoots, but then i was thinking about getting a dslr or whatever. but honestly, i dont even know what the difference is.

i guess im asking which camera would be good for a begginer? or what features should i look for? it would be used almost exclusivly for fishing and outdoor stuff, and id like to stay under $500, perferably under 400...

any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. GTSRGTSR

GTSRGTSR Well-Known Member

I have an olympus tough series, waterproof to 33 ft. I also have a canon digital rebel with 3 lenses, speedlite flash, etc.

I love both my cameras and couldnt do without either. the waterproof goes on the boat and running around, and the dslr goes where I want quality photos. DSLRs are going to have the best clarity and no shutter lag, point and shoots are known for shutter lag, I a m sure theres a point and shoot without lag, I just dont know where.

You can get a waterproof camera for less that $200 and a Canon DSLR(or Nikon) DSLR kit for $600(body and 1 lens). If you want to take pictures and learn photography, buy a dslr, but just know that you;\'ll soon have a waterproof pint and shoot as well!!!! :D

3. mcjakershaker89

mcjakershaker89 I Love microskiff.com!

ok cool, thanks man... now what is the difference in lenses? i know they can be expensive... so could i just get by with using one or do i have to get a bunch? or is it just for zoomin in really far or somethin?

4. GTSRGTSR

GTSRGTSR Well-Known Member

Lenses are like fishing rods, you can have 1 or more, you can have expensive ones or inexpensive ones. As you get more serious about it, you 'll find yourself most likely buying lenses.

The use range is this: 10-20 mm is wide angle allowing a wide view(but everything looks far away- gotta get up close), 30-100 mm- regular view and 100-400mm - zooms far away objects up close.

5. Surfincb

Surfincb I Love microskiff.com!

Cameras are like anything else... depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do? Getting into photography? Then get a DSLR. Point and shoots are crap for the most part. Look at adorama or b/h online for a nice used slr. 20D from canon or even a used Rebel. You can have a cheap rebel and a NICE lens and take the best pictures in the world. Cheap lens = cheap pictures. There is a reason why lenses are expensive. Good starting point would be a Rebel and Tamron 28-75 f2.8. Great all around lens. Just be careful around water :)

6. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

I use a Nikon D3100 for photos, and a Canon 7D for videos. The Nikon D3100 stacks up great next to the 7D as far as photo's goes. Everything is in the same ball park, but has a better depth of color range. I'm not a fan at all of the Rebel's. I've used a few and hated them. As for lenses, I use a stock 18-55mm as well as a 1.8 50mm for video.

With that said, the Nikon d3100 cannot compare even close to Video quality of the 7D. One can get some great video out of a D3100. With the 50mm lens, and good lighting. Ultimately, I hope to replace my arsenal with a Canon Mark 3 5D.