Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If all you care about is catching fish as shallow as possible but you may want to run 40 miles which will be choppy sometimes. What do you buy both budget and no limit?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As shallow is as possible and I suppose hipshot makes the point there is no such thing.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
There are loads of good boats out there. You really need to define what you mean run 40 miles and it might be choppy. Are you talking 40 miles through the marsh with some open water or are you talking 40 miles offshore. If its the later then the answer to your question is nothing. If its the former then I'd look hard at an East Cape Evo. X will be a little skinnier or the V will be a little better in a chop.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are loads of good boats out there. You really need to define what you mean run 40 miles and it might be choppy. Are you talking 40 miles through the marsh with some open water or are you talking 40 miles offshore. If its the later then the answer to your question is nothing. If its the former then I'd look hard at an East Cape Evo. X will be a little skinnier or the V will be a little better in a chop.
I was thinking the upper and lower Laguna

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,433 Posts
Yeah it's got to be a good poling skiff.
Passion and good poling skills plus athletic skiff pushing friends with the same fishing days are required in the Laguna Madre. Does not matter which skiff without those prerequisites, unless you don't mind limited launch days. But what the hell, follow your dreams!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right. But the weather is good, the water is shallow and the women are pretty.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I would not even consider a non tunnel for down there unless you plan on missing out on miles and miles of seemingly endless flats. I’m not being a tunnel snob, it’s reality. The HPX-T is a great hull for down there. You mentioned cost is not an issue...Chittum Laguna Madre Tunnel.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,527 Posts
Vented tunnel East Cape Fury

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,433 Posts
If you have not done so, fish with Eric Glass then Ben Paschal, both on normal wind gusting days. Then, at some point in the afternoon, ask to get on the poling platform and try your poling technique. Then decide between the Chittum LM or HB Pro.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts