Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I went and pulled the trigger and put a deposit on a 2019 Ankona SUV 17. It will be a few months before it goes into production. As of now I have gone with the Etec 40 that they like to use, however they said they can rig any brand motor I want. I've always used Yamaha in the past and haven't done a ton of research on the newer 40hp motors. Any opinions or advice while I still have the chance to modify my order????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had both the carbonated and injected 40hp Yamahas. I had enough cooling issues with both and carb isssues on the first that I finally switched to Honda. The Yamaha 40 doesn’t have much out of the hole. I will never buy another 40 of theres. The Honda was great for my Maverick, quiet, economical and had a great hole shot. FYI I do own a 70hp Yamaha on a Maverick and a 200sho on a Pathfinder that work just fine.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
For the money and performance you cannot beat the Tohatsu. I sell more of those motors on skiffs than anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm...I might have to research the Tohatsu. I know the Etec has the holeshot advantage but If the price difference is big, I may have to reconsider.

·
Registered
280 Posts
So...I went and pulled the trigger and put a deposit on a 2019 Ankona SUV 17. It will be a few months before it goes into production. As of now I have gone with the Etec 40 that they like to use, however they said they can rig any brand motor I want. I've always used Yamaha in the past and haven't done a ton of research on the newer 40hp motors. Any opinions or advice while I still have the chance to modify my order????
If you power your new build with a Honda, honda will finance the entire build. I have a 2018 Honda 40 on my Advent and I am very very happy with it. Awesome hole shot, good fuel consumption from what I’m seeing and so far no issues with mine. Their customer service has also been really good when I’ve called with questions which is a plus, they are also just as light as the tohatsus from my research.

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
I am a diehard Yamaha guy but in the small boat class I’d probably go with a tohatsu. The reputation they’ve earned lately is as impressive as the power to weight they offer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m getting ready to power a 16 Mitzi tiller and max power rating is 40 hp. I’ve only seen one other like it and it was powered with a 30 hp Yamaha and the owner wasn’t around to ask. Does anyone have experience with this rig?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got a 40 merc and it seems strong. The etecs have a bigger gear case and swing a 13" prop. If carrying a heavy load I'd look at the etec. On a boat that weighs 300lbs, I'd look at a merc, hatsu, or zuke
Just FYI, 40 Merc comes in a command thrust (big-foot) gear case now.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I copied my post from another recent thread. 40-60 are the same.
I like Etec. Been running my 50 since 2006. Has been great. Minor issues. Never a break down. Can’t comment on other makes as I never ran them and my previous motors are pre 1999. Being that old has no meaning in this conversation. One other note. They all have service centers. And they don’t just sell oil. Everything man made will break.

And it made another trip today. Instantly started using the 4lb 500cca Lithium battery from Advance auto. I might have to buy a gallon of oil next month, it’s been a few years.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't know about the others but Tohatsu has short shaft offerings and that might allow you to have the same prop height and a lower poling platform. I've had Yammies (2 of them) and surely couldn't complain about the 2 stroke 60. Wasn't at all impressed with the 2001 115 Yam 4 stroke but that's now vintage so who knows. About to take delivery of a 50hp Tohatsu Monday so will learn soon enough.
Best,

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve owned (and still own) Mercs and Yamahas. I’ve gotten good use out of them but I like the idea of an Etec, especially the low maintenance side.
But another question remains, what size? The dealer told me a 30 hp was more than enough for this tiller model hull. Advertised E-Tec specs are 154 lbs for 30 hp vs 232 lbs for 40 hp.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts