Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Where would you live?

11215 Views 83 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  windblows
From Texas originally, live in Alaska now, but starting this year I’m wintering down south. Currently in PCB FL. Headed to Louisiana tomorrow for 3 days of chasing bull reds with a fly rod.

Anyway, I’m fortunate to be able to be anywhere that I can get the Internet for my business. Current plan is to settle in the Key’s, Marathon area. I want to flats fly fish for the usual suspects plus big Tarpon.

Any other place that I should consider, any Key in particular? Or????

Thanks!
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

· Registered
2005 East Cape Gladesman. 2005 Panga Marine 22.
6,524 Posts
I lived in Fort Myers in the mid 90’s, and in the Cape from 2010-2012. It was great the first time around but was definitely different the second time. Hope to get back down there sometime for a visit and some fishing
Yep I've been here since 1967. It's getting harder every day to get around town since the blue hairs are back and it's lost it's down home appeal that it had a one time. It's sad to watch as they destroy wildlife habitat on Corkscrew as they build subdivision after subdivision and then the people are surprised whenever they have bears and panthers roaming their yards.

· I Love microskiff.com!
3,735 Posts
people are surprised whenever they have bears and panthers roaming their yards.
Or the Jersey transplants that buy a house on the lake tether their yippy little shake and piss dogs in the back yard and complain when gators come cruising by. I've told more than a couple that I'd react the same way as the gator did if they held out a jelly donut in front of me. If they're gonna move to Florida they need to embrace Florida and not do everything they can to make it more like the places they moved away from...

I was born in the panhandle, raised in rural GA, and married a 4th generation Tampa girl...so here I am in Tampa with ZERO desire to live amongst a bunch of carpetbaggers...

· Registered
3,747 Posts
I’m a thousand feet west from the north end of the Mosquito Lagoon. Moved here in mid 70’s. Used to be an amazing place. Sad my daughter never got to enjoy it during that time. She did. Just at a very young age.(not in 70’s just when it was healthy) Still a beautiful place. We will be out there most of Thanksgiving week. I would tell you to move here. But we don’t need any more people. Most of the state is that way.

· Premium Member
3,594 Posts
If you really want to get away from people move to Chokoloskee. Luckily the bugs keep most of the people away.
Few years back I'd been watching house prices there. Found a real nice place on "stilts" that would have a chance to survive a hurricane for only 400K. Only fished south of Marco a couple times in the 70's with fond memories. Offered my girls a free vacation if one or both would join me on a trip to check out the island.
Think I may have spoiled them to much over the years as they both asked the same question, is that place like the other "out of the way" places you like to go?
When I told them it was not quite like that they said no...

Kinda sucks that when you reach that point in life when you can go/live almost anywhere you want other considerations get in the way.

· Registered
2005 East Cape Gladesman. 2005 Panga Marine 22.
6,524 Posts
If you really want to get away from people move to Chokoloskee. Luckily the bugs keep most of the people away.
The reason Chock is still a small town is the more the 1 hour plus trip to the outskirts of Naples so that'd be a 3 hour round trip to go to work unless you're wealthy and don't need to work or work from home. On a side note I would love to live in Everglades city or Chocko.

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,448 Posts
Choko/Everglades city is the Alaska of Florida (the last frontier). Nothing like putting 60 miles on the skiff and only seeing a couple boats. Plus that cheeseburger at island cafe when you get back in makes coming back in worth while. Amazing!

· Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
3,034 Posts
Anyway, I’m fortunate to be able to be anywhere that I can get the Internet for my business. Current plan is to settle in the Key’s, Marathon area. I want to flats fly fish for the usual suspects plus big Tarpon.

Any other place that I should consider, any Key in particular? Or????

Thanks!
The true essence of the Keys, or what is left of it, is in the Lower Keys south of the 7 Mile Bridge. There is year round action for tarpon and some of the best flats for bones and permit.

· Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks for the responses folks. I'll be driving down to the Keys in December and will check out these places along the way. Be stopping at ECS on the way down to spec out my boat build.

Padre, thanks for that info. I get back from LA next week and I'll get on the local waters and see if I can find some of the Reds.

I actually lived in Florida, Fort Pierce to be exact, back in '73/74, didn't fish then- just dove, but went back maybe 10-12 years ago for my daughter's wedding and didn't recognize the place so I have a sense of what you long timers are pining about.

· Registered
1,696 Posts
I spent a lot of my younger years in south Florida, and the Keys & Bahamas are magic places for me, but no way I'd want to move back to Florida now. I'll visit every chance I get, though. If I did move to Florida it'd be somewhere in the SW part of the state, where I could enjoy the snook and reds, but be close enough to the Keys to enjoy them also, and not fight the city crowds.

My retirement plan is the Lower Laguna Madre. Less fishing pressure, prettier water, and hundreds of square miles of shallow grass flats and marsh. And tarpon part of the year. I just wish the city had a better retirement system, it'll have to be a low budget setup. Other than a couple million in medical bills that I'll never be able to pay off, the only debt I'll have when I retire is the boat note, which I will probably have paid off already. I'm down to one other consolidated loan, which the bride had taken out on the RV, and a few other items. I have it whittled down pretty low, and should pay it off by the end of the year. Looking to buy a small plot several miles inland (won't have to run every time a hurricane looms) and lay down a slab and erect a 2000-2400 sq. foot metal building. I'll move the RV down there and finish out the inside myself. A garage, bedroom, guest bedroom (expecting lotsa visits from my fishing pals), and a fly tying/reloading/gunsmithing room. Oh yeah, and a refrigerator to keep the beer cold.........

· Registered
1,241 Posts
Thanks for the responses folks. I'll be driving down to the Keys in December and will check out these places along the way. Be stopping at ECS on the way down to spec out my boat build.

Padre, thanks for that info. I get back from LA next week and I'll get on the local waters and see if I can find some of the Reds.

I actually lived in Florida, Fort Pierce to be exact, back in '73/74, didn't fish then- just dove, but went back maybe 10-12 years ago for my daughter's wedding and didn't recognize the place so I have a sense of what you long timers are pining about.
Yeah, In 73-74, there were only 3 area codes for the whole state and one professional sports team, and they were good then.
Two different conveniences in history opened up the state of Florida for people to move here in quantity. Who knows what they are? Hint: The 1st one was driven by two wealthy men who eventually had towns named after them.
When you get back, DM and I'll help you out with some ideas on where to fish.

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,167 Posts
PLEASE DO NOT COME TO TEXAS. Don't need any more peeps here, especially liberal leftists who only screw up everything they touch in the process of making where they went the exact same as where they moved from. Like California, was reading on zerohedge that 53% of Californians say they wish they could move from there. Florida cannot handle any more people. What was a paradise has been effectively ruined. Thankfully deep south TX does NOT have a better retirement system. Then even more assholes would move here to get a free ride on our taxes. That deal with colder and trout streams does sound kind of enticing, as does Chile or Panama.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.