Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Where would you live?

11215 Views 83 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  windblows
From Texas originally, live in Alaska now, but starting this year I’m wintering down south. Currently in PCB FL. Headed to Louisiana tomorrow for 3 days of chasing bull reds with a fly rod.

Anyway, I’m fortunate to be able to be anywhere that I can get the Internet for my business. Current plan is to settle in the Key’s, Marathon area. I want to flats fly fish for the usual suspects plus big Tarpon.

Any other place that I should consider, any Key in particular? Or????

Thanks!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· I Love microskiff.com!
2022 East Cape Evo X
583 Posts
I'm not there yet, but when the time comes that I am no longer tied to a physical work location I expect all FL will be ruined. Central America will become the replacement for the months I would have spent in FL.

· I Love microskiff.com!
2022 East Cape Evo X
583 Posts
To echo what he said above. It is beautiful water there though large areas are just sand bottom.
Inshore is not nearly so varied and rich in habitat as what you'd find in central to south FL/Keys though. And winter is cold and uneventful for a while until things warm up in spring.
I loved my time there from 1993-2001, fished 4 days a week probably. Slower pace, lot of history, much less crowded. I'd go back if the right opportunity presented itself.

· I Love microskiff.com!
2022 East Cape Evo X
583 Posts
My state is probably the easiest place in the USA to mock, and I agree it deserves it. Our politicians are the worst and have been spreading their $hit everywhere they can.

That being said, just our mountain range is a larger land mass than most states, we also have the third longest coast line with everything from sandy beaches to where mountains meet the Pacific.
Then we have the Sacramento San Joaquin Delta with a 1000 miles of waterways.

AND where I live we have the BEST overall weather of anywhere in the US. :) And while we have too many people, if you can travel the state whenever you want you can still find a little piece of heaven without bumping elbows.

PS,
still wouldn't hurt my feelings at all,
spending my final years living in Chokolskee.
While I was being facetious with directing newbies to other states (like CA), I agree with what you say.

To me, it is the most beautiful state I've ever visited... it has all the features of most other beautiful states all in one package. No question. Only missing the tropics (like S. FL, Keys and Hawaii).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.