Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Where would you live?

11215 Views 83 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  windblows
From Texas originally, live in Alaska now, but starting this year I’m wintering down south. Currently in PCB FL. Headed to Louisiana tomorrow for 3 days of chasing bull reds with a fly rod.

Anyway, I’m fortunate to be able to be anywhere that I can get the Internet for my business. Current plan is to settle in the Key’s, Marathon area. I want to flats fly fish for the usual suspects plus big Tarpon.

Any other place that I should consider, any Key in particular? Or????

Thanks!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,241 Posts
Thanks for the responses folks. I'll be driving down to the Keys in December and will check out these places along the way. Be stopping at ECS on the way down to spec out my boat build.

Padre, thanks for that info. I get back from LA next week and I'll get on the local waters and see if I can find some of the Reds.

I actually lived in Florida, Fort Pierce to be exact, back in '73/74, didn't fish then- just dove, but went back maybe 10-12 years ago for my daughter's wedding and didn't recognize the place so I have a sense of what you long timers are pining about.
Yeah, In 73-74, there were only 3 area codes for the whole state and one professional sports team, and they were good then.
Two different conveniences in history opened up the state of Florida for people to move here in quantity. Who knows what they are? Hint: The 1st one was driven by two wealthy men who eventually had towns named after them.
When you get back, DM and I'll help you out with some ideas on where to fish.

· Registered
1,241 Posts
I would not have left Florida if they had some real mountains.
That said, those places are just too far from the ocean for me.

Nothing to compare.
Me, fly fishing is fly fishing.
Now sight fly fishing has a special place in my heart, but I can honestly say that I totally enjoy the times I've taken my 2 wt and fished Grizzly Creek for 'dink" trout, or caught Grayling in Alaska on it.
Agreed, I get a thrill out of sight fishing a 6" Smoky Mountain rainbow as well as sight fishing a redfish on the flat. But I have to admit, I like the pull of the redfish on the flat.

· Registered
1,241 Posts
When I was a kid (in the '60's) there were less than 180 million people in the U.S. There are more than 327 million today. By the time I die there will surely be over 400 million. Nothing any of us can do about that. Bitchin sure won't help- if it did you'd see me on the 6 o'clock news every night.

I do appreciate the constructive responses. Will be doing a lot of exploring over the next three months.
& those numbers don't even approach China and India. I was in India last year and if there is one thing they don't have concept of it is personal space.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.