Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Where would you live?

11220 Views 83 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  windblows
From Texas originally, live in Alaska now, but starting this year I’m wintering down south. Currently in PCB FL. Headed to Louisiana tomorrow for 3 days of chasing bull reds with a fly rod.

Anyway, I’m fortunate to be able to be anywhere that I can get the Internet for my business. Current plan is to settle in the Key’s, Marathon area. I want to flats fly fish for the usual suspects plus big Tarpon.

Any other place that I should consider, any Key in particular? Or????

Thanks!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2005 East Cape Gladesman. 2005 Panga Marine 22.
6,524 Posts
I've always been a fan of the GA and SC coastal areas.

FL is getting too crowded. They need to hang a "Closed" sign at the state line.

Too many refugees from "blue" states coming down here to escape taxes and policies they continue to support after arriving here...
Shhhhh that's where I'm looking into Born and raised in Ft Myers 6 th gen cracker but every day down here gets worse traffic is unbearable English is becoming the second language and the population is booming more than the ability to keep up with the roads and affordable housing. Good luck moving back to the rat race that is South Florida.

· Registered
6,524 Posts
I lived in Fort Myers in the mid 90’s, and in the Cape from 2010-2012. It was great the first time around but was definitely different the second time. Hope to get back down there sometime for a visit and some fishing
Yep I've been here since 1967. It's getting harder every day to get around town since the blue hairs are back and it's lost it's down home appeal that it had a one time. It's sad to watch as they destroy wildlife habitat on Corkscrew as they build subdivision after subdivision and then the people are surprised whenever they have bears and panthers roaming their yards.

· Registered
6,524 Posts
If you really want to get away from people move to Chokoloskee. Luckily the bugs keep most of the people away.
The reason Chock is still a small town is the more the 1 hour plus trip to the outskirts of Naples so that'd be a 3 hour round trip to go to work unless you're wealthy and don't need to work or work from home. On a side note I would love to live in Everglades city or Chocko.

· Registered
6,524 Posts
Dajk, I actually lived in Fort Pierce in 73-74 going to a deep sea diving school. I don't even recognize the place now. Good info on the fishing there, thanks.

kbanashek, a man after my own heart. I've certainly chased fish around the country over the years but never out of the country.

The forgotten coast is sounding really interesting, we are not fans of being around a ton of people, that's one of the reasons we live in Alaska. But still plan on exploring all the way down the Keys, but now will also explore the forgotten coast.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts, really appreciate it.
If you don't like crowds don't head anywhere below Tampa or anywhere on the east coast of Florida

· Registered
6,524 Posts
Please do overlook the LLM of TX. It is just horrible there. There really does not need to be any more fishing pressure from outsiders. Yall go on over to FL or Alabama or the Carolinas or somewhere else don't really matter where. Darn sure do not need any more snowbirds or retirees. Except FL does not need any more people there either so don't go to FL.
Thanks for revising your post as I live in Florida and we have been full for many years now. And now it's blue hair season I agree with @MRichardson I hear California has beautiful weather year round. It's hot in Florida

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.