Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Where would you live?

11220 Views 83 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  windblows
From Texas originally, live in Alaska now, but starting this year I’m wintering down south. Currently in PCB FL. Headed to Louisiana tomorrow for 3 days of chasing bull reds with a fly rod.

Anyway, I’m fortunate to be able to be anywhere that I can get the Internet for my business. Current plan is to settle in the Key’s, Marathon area. I want to flats fly fish for the usual suspects plus big Tarpon.

Any other place that I should consider, any Key in particular? Or????

Thanks!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
The keys arent what they used to be, even 10 years ago.
I moved to Key Largo in 1983 when the Friendship Inn had a drive up window for mixed drinks:) and the Caribbean Club didn't even have a front door cuz they never closed. After work, I could get in my Mako 22 and be in a 100' of water in 30 minutes.
The whole world was different then.
I thought I would never leave.
Then Hurricane Andrew, Marine Sanctuary, Impact fees....etc and I left in 2000.
I'll take the Nature coast and the First coast.
But I do miss that water, just not enough.

· Registered
25 Posts
Don’t come to Crystal River! Ask me how I know! Yes, the fishing is good... for now. At the pace it is trying to grow here, traffic is a beeotch and to be honest the area is going down hill! Been here for my whole life for the most part and am sad to say I might be moving away from this mess.
Seems like I've been leaving different parts of Florida most of my life. Indian Rocks, Pine Island, Key Largo. The sad fact BB is that there is nowhere left to go. Just be glad you don't have a white sand beach.

· Registered
25 Posts
Problem here is there is nothing! County doesn’t want any industry unless you count manatee tours and selling manatee t shirts as industry! Don’t get me wrong, I know there are far worse places to be!
We lived there back in 1965 and used to pull our boat back into Three sisters to swim. Came back a few years ago and was heartbroken. Who in the hell let somebody dredge all of those canals? Predictably, the river is a Dim reflection of what it was then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.