Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Where would you live?

10910 83
From Texas originally, live in Alaska now, but starting this year I’m wintering down south. Currently in PCB FL. Headed to Louisiana tomorrow for 3 days of chasing bull reds with a fly rod.

Anyway, I’m fortunate to be able to be anywhere that I can get the Internet for my business. Current plan is to settle in the Key’s, Marathon area. I want to flats fly fish for the usual suspects plus big Tarpon.

Any other place that I should consider, any Key in particular? Or????

Thanks!
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
The keys arent what they used to be, even 10 years ago.
I moved to Key Largo in 1983 when the Friendship Inn had a drive up window for mixed drinks:) and the Caribbean Club didn't even have a front door cuz they never closed. After work, I could get in my Mako 22 and be in a 100' of water in 30 minutes.
The whole world was different then.
I thought I would never leave.
Then Hurricane Andrew, Marine Sanctuary, Impact fees....etc and I left in 2000.
I'll take the Nature coast and the First coast.
But I do miss that water, just not enough.

G

·
Don’t come to Crystal River! Ask me how I know! Yes, the fishing is good... for now. At the pace it is trying to grow here, traffic is a beeotch and to be honest the area is going down hill! Been here for my whole life for the most part and am sad to say I might be moving away from this mess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don’t come to Crystal River! Ask me how I know! Yes, the fishing is good... for now. At the pace it is trying to grow here, traffic is a beeotch and to be honest the area is going down hill! Been here for my whole life for the most part and am sad to say I might be moving away from this mess.
Seems like I've been leaving different parts of Florida most of my life. Indian Rocks, Pine Island, Key Largo. The sad fact BB is that there is nowhere left to go. Just be glad you don't have a white sand beach.

G

·
Seems like I've been leaving different parts of Florida most of my life. Indian Rocks, Pine Island, Key Largo. The sad fact BB is that there is nowhere left to go. Just be glad you don't have a white sand beach.
Problem here is there is nothing! County doesn’t want any industry unless you count manatee tours and selling manatee t shirts as industry! Don’t get me wrong, I know there are far worse places to be!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,712 Posts
I've always been a fan of the GA and SC coastal areas.

FL is getting too crowded. They need to hang a "Closed" sign at the state line.

Too many refugees from "blue" states coming down here to escape taxes and policies they continue to support after arriving here...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
East Cape Evo X
522 Posts
I'm not there yet, but when the time comes that I am no longer tied to a physical work location I expect all FL will be ruined. Central America will become the replacement for the months I would have spent in FL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Problem here is there is nothing! County doesn’t want any industry unless you count manatee tours and selling manatee t shirts as industry! Don’t get me wrong, I know there are far worse places to be!
We lived there back in 1965 and used to pull our boat back into Three sisters to swim. Came back a few years ago and was heartbroken. Who in the hell let somebody dredge all of those canals? Predictably, the river is a Dim reflection of what it was then.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,191 Posts
From about Crystal River north and then west until almost Panama City might be the least populated stretch in Florida. Find a place that has less people and the fishing is likely to be mucho better.
No
If I could be anywhere it would be Cape San Blas.
No
Th red fishing on the fly in your area is on fire right now. These are all PC shots from the last couple of weeks View attachment 100540 View attachment 100542 View attachment 100544 .
And No

N. FL sucks, we're still on dial up, it won't work.Texas is where you want to be. Internet is faster, fishing is much better, people are nicer, women are prettier, taxes are lower, and the beer is colder.

Joking aside, if you don't have to be in the states very often and can truly work remotely, I would look hard at Belize man. That's my retirement plan!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
144 Posts
In Naples. Been here since the 70s, mom's family here since the 50s. Dad's family all farmers from Central Florida; I'm 8th generation Cracker and damn proud of it. Been sad to see the state degraded by the steady trail of folks fleeing from northern states...and as crboggs said bringing their horseshit opinions and warped blue-tinted worldview with them.

I'm a stubborn cuss, though. I may leave my beloved Everglades behind some day -- on my own terms -- but in the meantime I'm happy to stay and enjoy the Park's more remote corners (where jetski's and yahoos in Bayliners fear to tread water).

·
Registered
2005 East Cape Gladesman. 2005 Panga Marine 22.
6,347 Posts
I've always been a fan of the GA and SC coastal areas.

FL is getting too crowded. They need to hang a "Closed" sign at the state line.

Too many refugees from "blue" states coming down here to escape taxes and policies they continue to support after arriving here...
Shhhhh that's where I'm looking into Born and raised in Ft Myers 6 th gen cracker but every day down here gets worse traffic is unbearable English is becoming the second language and the population is booming more than the ability to keep up with the roads and affordable housing. Good luck moving back to the rat race that is South Florida.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Shhhhh that's where I'm looking into Born and raised in Ft Myers 6 th gen cracker but every day down here gets worse traffic is unbearable English is becoming the second language and the population is booming more than the ability to keep up with the roads and affordable housing. Good luck moving back to the rat race that is South Florida.
I lived in Fort Myers in the mid 90’s, and in the Cape from 2010-2012. It was great the first time around but was definitely different the second time. Hope to get back down there sometime for a visit and some fishing

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.