Where would you go?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SClay115, May 27, 2010.

1. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

Am wondering what people's opinions are, as I've been reading a lot into different areas to finally settle myself. Right now residing in Orlando, and I am none too crazy about it. I enjoy terrain, which lets me fish streams/creeks/rivers, but I enjoy the flats as well. I know there is no perfect middle ground, but then I got to thinking.

What about North Carolina?

I was up there just a few weeks ago in Waynesville, and my buddy informs me that there is some good trout fishing in the area, I had no idea, and sure enough, after a bit of research, there is. And apparently, one can fish on the state's marsh flats for reds. Can this be? Trout water and good saltwater in one state? That might work!

Anybody live in NC that can give me some insight on this whole theory? Or maybe somebody who lives somewhere else that can throw me a suggestion. I know there is no perfect location, but hey, if I'm going to relocate, I might as well make sure I have something to do!

Steve

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Correct me if I am wrong but Waynesville is about 40 miles west of Asheville and a day's drive from the ocean.

In my own opinion and if it were me relocating, I am going to relocate to where the job's/money is at and the outdoor activities would take a back seat.

Back seat; let me clarify. I made a live changing move myself. I grew up fishing for torut, salmon and steelhead as well as hunting deer, turkey ducks, etc. Then I moved to FL and priorities change. While I still hunt for all of these critters I must make an event in order to chase them. Now I have substituted salmon and steelhead for reds, snook and sunburns. Although I go to the great white north every year I am happy to say that I will never own a snow shovel again in my life.

So as to repeat myself, if you secure a good job and you enjoy being outdoors, wherever you move to you will adapt and substitute your activities.

Good luck

3. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

I had forgotten I posted this in here...

This isn't a "Hey forum members please chose my living location." But just more of a fun sort of thing to talk about what areas offer. I understand fully that a stable income should be near the top of the list, but I also believe that if you are going to make a move, it is worth your while to scout first. With enjoyment of your location, and quality of life, being right next to stable income, at least, in my opinion.

Steve

4. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

someone on here said there are no reds past GA. is this true ???
    help!! -anytide

5. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

Check this out. http://www.ncfisheries.net/content/resource/red_drum.htm

I think they just call them another name up there.

Frank_S

6. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

My buddy had moved up to NC about 8 months ago.
    He just moved back down last month.
    He said there's no work out there, and decided to come back down to Miami.

7. Yoreese

Yoreese I Love microskiff.com!

If I'm correct the IGFA record Redfish was caught in NC.

The IGFA world record redfish was caught by David G. Jewell, while fishing in Avon, North Carolina, in 1984, weighing an incredible 94 pounds 2 ounces.

Now that's a Red!!!

8. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

yes thats a RED for sure !!! ?= how far north to transition from specks to weakfish ??? -i 've seen some monster reds caught on atlantic coast =tv
    -anytide

9. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

In an attempt to re-rail this thread I have spent considerable time in many areas and one that I particularly enjoy is Jackson WY. Only thing that keeps me out is my wife's love for white sand and palm trees.

10. Yoreese

Hard to beat Florida! If you get bored just drive to the mountains in GA or NC for a few days. :)

11. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Just outside of Myrtle Beach, SC there are some nice towns. I say outside because MB can be a stinking mad house during the tourista season, lots of fun to be had but I don't want to deal with the traffic or idiots! ;D You have to go North or South a ways for flats fishing, but good surf & offshore at your doorstep. Plus if you are a golfer, well you have it made.

With all of that said if I ever move out of Florida it will be to Colorado Springs, CO or Savannah, GA.

12. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

There is one place I would really like to go and it's not likely I will ever make it. The west end of Cuba (on the south side) is a place my father spoke of as a paradise for fishermen. I overflew it many times while in the Navy and it looks like a perfect place.

Frank_S

13. Yoreese

Out islands in Bahamas!

14. kbuch312

kbuch312 Well-Known Member

SClay,
    I once made a career move choice following the money to St. Louis. Believe me, there are no redfish in St. Louis, MO. As Ducknut stated, for me to pursue my fishing passions, it is an event.
    I like your idea of "scouting" the destination.
    Setting income aside, as important as this is, I have long believed that if you choose your location based on your passions and non work related recreations, then all else would fall into place. In other words, you won't find yourself having to make to many events to pursue the things you desire. Also, the time you would spend daydreaming and planning for events would be used pursuing activities where you are.

With all that said, being from Texas, if I could do at this point, anything along the Gulf Coast with exception of our BP spewhole immediate impact zone, around the keys and up the east coast to NC would be just fine. Keys would be the pipedream location, as no more scenic place to be in my opinion.

Regards,
    KMB

15. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

Thanks for all the great opinions so far, as always it is nice to hear different things from folks who have been around much more than I have.

kbuch, I think like you do it seems, and whilst the income is important, there are many, many other things that are important as well.

My father lives out west, in Aurora, CO, having been out there once, I love the area, but it is just so completely different and would take a fair bit of convincing for me to move that far. However, I have considered it, but fear I might miss the coast, something about that absolution of being land locked worries me for some reason.

I wouldn't mind getting out of the wild humidity and heat of Florida, and after watching the "Redfish Can't Jump" video posted up here, I believe it was that one at least, and seeing the anglers in the waders stalking fish in the reeds, well, coming from a small trout stream background, I said to myself, "Now that, looks fun!" Then again, watching another short clip about chasing Permit along the Aussie coast line, on foot, running, from the shore, looks like fun too!

So to expand on Frank's comment, about Cuba, what about other countries? Some days I dream of selling it all, getting out, and ending up in some far off country....

Steve

16. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

Hopefully, I'll have a better informed opinion of North Carolina fishing once I am back home.  Check out North Carolina Sportsman.  It paints a pretty good picture of the area.

If I was gonna follow the reds and the ducks and just take whatever job paid the bills, I'd live somewhere around Lake Charles, Louisiana above the storm surge line.  I'm biased, but I don't think there is another place that offers that particular combination so well in the world. 

You'd have access to all sorts of marsh around Lake Calcasieu and Grand Lake.  If you wanted to slum, you could visit East Texas (for the record, I love Texas, but most Texans need to catch some crap to keep them honest).  The oil is moving primarily east, so West Louisiana shouldn't become a super fund site. 

It is kinda like moving to a foreign land and the economy is doing pretty well, all things considered... and the food is better than North Carolina.

No trout streams though.  The closest trout that I know of are in a stocked stream in Oklahoma called Beavers Bend.  Maybe you could settle for tossing a 4 wt at cypress knees for warmouth?
    ;D
    Nate