Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Where to start with fly tying?

5057 28
I’d like to start tying saltwater flies up here in the Lowcountry if SC. I think it would be a lot of fun and rewarding to match seasonal patterns. Can you all recommend the basic tools needed and what I can expect to pay to get started ? Also, where should I look. 239 flies had already been recommended. I’m not looking to unload a lot for now and did see some kits on Amazon but am concerned they may not be sufficient.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Fly-By-Night
3,188 Posts
Any basic kit will work $50 max. You can upgrade the vise later if you stick with it.

I think a lot of the patterns from 239 are a bit over the top with materials, more is almost never better when it comes to flies.

You need to learn the basic techniques and then you can tie any fly you want. Look up Davie McPhail he's a really great tyer also YouTube in the riffle, decent videos. Look for a local tying group, there's no replacement for seeing something in person.

First flies I would concentrate on would be the clouser, gartside gurgler, redfish crack, ep shrimp, ep baitfish, spoon fly. Just my opinion.

You'll be in your way to landing your first fish on your own fly in no time.

· Registered
Maverick HPXS
1,321 Posts
If around Charleston both haddrells carry tying materials with the fin and feather location in MT Pleasant having the better selection.

As bare minimum tools:
Vice (buy a decent one, a slipping hook will frustrate you to the point of giving up, if price is a concern look second hand)
Scissors
Bobbin
Bodkin
A decent tool kit will get you started with these and more.

From there start with an easy to tie pattern using only a few materials. Id pick whichever gets you the most interested, my vote being clouser.

· I Love microskiff.com!
2,269 Posts
x2 for In the Riffle. I started tying just over a year ago and watched a few of his vids to get started. I wrote down the material list from a few patterns and got started tying them. Keep it simple and only buy enough material for a couple different fly patterns. I started with a couple of the EP shrimp patterns and then clousers. I tie up a couple and if I don't like, I'll just razor blade them apart and salvage the hook and eyes. I am in the less is more camp when it comes to material and tend to tie fairly sparse flies. Make sure to experiment with different material and techniques. Once you get the basic idea of tying flies it gets really fun. You can also go buy a few nice looking flies to use as models so to speak.

· Fly-By-Night
3,188 Posts
Can anyone recommend a decent quality starter kit that’s reasonable in price? Or are you better off just buying a vice and the necessities individually?
Cabelas's deluxe kit is 50$ with a cheap vise, I tied on one for several years before I gave it to a friend who was getting interested, and then got a Ren Traveler. Loon sells a set of fairly decent tools but not premium stonfo, renzetti, rite bobbin, etc.

Start cheap you may not love it. If you do then you have a spare to loan out at fly tying nights or to give buddies that want to learn.

· Registered
107 Posts
I am a newbie (about 6 months now) and I went to Bass Pro and got a Lefty Kreh starter kit. I have added a few things along the way like extra bobbins and materials and it's working well. I'll probably be upgrading the vice but happy with what I have for now. When you get started, there is a wealth of info on you tube, including detailed instruction on tying several salt water flies.

· I Love microskiff.com!
3,733 Posts
If you have the resources, start with a basic rotary vise. The Peak Rotary won't break the bank.

The best tying vids are In The Riffle and Backwater Fly Fishing IMHO. Find their channels on Youtube.

· Registered
618 Posts
The peak rotary is a great starter vise.

I will say from my point of view I really like a basic ceramic bobbin, don’t skimp on scissors (I like anvil’s, and Loon Razor’s) and NEVER use your good scissors to cut hard materials or wire, even the thin stuff most brushes are made of. Buy a cheap pair of side cutters or wire snips for that stuff.

Learning to whip finish without a tool is a good skill to have and in all reality the only tools I use are scissors, bobbin, bodkin that I made myself, dubbing twister and very occasionally a bobbin threader.

· Registered
158 Posts
I’d like to start tying saltwater flies up here in the Lowcountry if SC. I think it would be a lot of fun and rewarding to match seasonal patterns. Can you all recommend the basic tools needed and what I can expect to pay to get started ? Also, where should I look. 239 flies had already been recommended. I’m not looking to unload a lot for now and did see some kits on Amazon but am concerned they may not be sufficient.
agree with all above, don't have to sink a lot of money into it initially ( that will probably change!). If you really enjoy it you can then pony up for an upgraded vise. I would also suggest starting with some Schminnows and then some Clouser's. In the Riffle helped me tremendously, There's also a guy on you tube "toflyfish" or McFly that's pretty good.

· Lip Ripper
1,706 Posts
If you're in charleston go to Haddrell's if you're near Beaufort go to Bay Street Outfitters. I have a Peak Rotary vice, great vice that you'll more than likely never have to upgrade. I went with Loon for tools but honestly I liked my Dr. Slick scissors more than my loons. Start with basic crab or shrimp patterns and just have fun. Youtube is a great tool to get started.

· Registered
877 Posts
I've been into it for about a year, Peak rotary vise from Lowcountry Fly shop, before they went out was $155. Dr. slick tool kit, $50. Loon UV glue and light, don't remember the price $50?

Materials have added up though, hooks, eyes, threads, deer hair, pseudo hair, brushes, chenille, flash, foam, etc... I have filled up a storage tote with Plano boxes to organize all my materials.

Like everyone has said, start with a couple easy ties and youtube will be your friend.

My first couple I tied were on old J hooks from my spinning tackle box and hooks from flies I never threw where I just cut off the material. I find tying as good therapy and justified the money by what I would pay a therapist to clear the voices in my head.

If you really want to save money, stay away from the bourbon while tying. I lost count of how many flies died due to alcohol and an unsteady hand with scissors.

· Registered
310 Posts
Bass Starter Kit 109.99 gives you some decent tools and the materials to tie some bass/saltwater flies: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-deluxe-fly-tying-kit-bass-tying

Clouser Minnow kit 19.99 gives you some more materials to tie the clouser minnow in a variety of colors. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-masters-deep-minnow-saltwater-fly-tying-kit

Once you finish with the supplies in whatever kit or starting supplies you buy look around online and at fly shops and see what you need to tie some other flies. Just don't get caught in the that fly looks nice now I have to buy 50 dollars worth of supplies to tie one specific fly, buy supplies and hooks that you can use for a variety of flies.

· I Love microskiff.com!
2,269 Posts
I've been into it for about a year, Peak rotary vise from Lowcountry Fly shop, before they went out was $155. Dr. slick tool kit, $50. Loon UV glue and light, don't remember the price $50?

Materials have added up though, hooks, eyes, threads, deer hair, pseudo hair, brushes, chenille, flash, foam, etc... I have filled up a storage tote with Plano boxes to organize all my materials.

Like everyone has said, start with a couple easy ties and youtube will be your friend.

My first couple I tied were on old J hooks from my spinning tackle box and hooks from flies I never threw where I just cut off the material. I find tying as good therapy and justified the money by what I would pay a therapist to clear the voices in my head.

If you really want to save money, stay away from the bourbon while tying. I lost count of how many flies died due to alcohol and an unsteady hand with scissors.
We should get together and tie. Some of my best creations have been with two fingers and a low ball on the tying bench :)

· Registered
66 Posts
Vise: I would start out with a vise that will get the job done for a little bit. I was hooked quick and went big on the vise (Regal) a couple months later. Initially since I was new to tying I was hesitant on spending that much money on a vise, but looking back it was definitely worth it.

Tools: Find what works for you and stick with it. Example - I have tried several different bobbins but continue going back to the short ones with ceramic inserts. I have a heavy hand and for me these work since I lose some leverage.

Material: I would initially pick out several flies that work in your area and buy the materials specific to those flies. You don't need to buy all the color combinations yet and can phase those in over time if you truly enjoy tying. With the initial materials you get you can begin to experiment more with how to use them in different ways and come up with different flies. Look at pictures and mess around.

A good book that will show you a little of everything is Fly Fishermans guide to saltwater prey by Aaron J Adams. I got is when I was learning to tie, and if anything, it gives you a visual representation of what the Fish/crab/shrimp... ect.... looks like and a fly to match.

Best of luck and most of all have fun while you are doing it. The moment you get frustrated, put your tools down and walk away. Hope this helps.

· Registered
57 Posts
Peak rotary vises are reasonable and will last for years. Start with simple patterns like SeaDucers using inexpensive saddle hackle, and Clousers with chartreuse and white bucktail. You will be fishing and catching on your own flies in no time. Fly tying tool kits may be okay but start with a good pair of scissors. You cannot find better videos on a searchable base that "In The Riffle".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.