Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need your help guys.

The cost of homes in LA has really got my interest, but I have no knowledge of what the fishing is like in different areas. Areas that have my interest are:

South South West of Theriat and Dulac.

Galliano to Grand Isle.

Violet to Venice.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Panhandler
2,714 Posts
Grand Isle is a cool spot, but very remote. Limited stores, etc. and it's supposed to be crazy crowded during the annual Tarpon Rodeo. There's a reason why ****** Bulger lived there undetected for a couple years.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I travel to La a few times a year for work and play. I don't think I would want to live in Houma. I'd prefer to be in a suburb of NOLA.
If there is anyplace in the state you want to avoid it's Jefferson and Orleans Parish. Dumpster. Fire.

There are a bunch of charming spots south of Houma. There are even some very cool waterfront opportunities along Bayou Terrbonne.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Check out Bay St Louis. Cozy town with a few nice restaurants. On the Gulf. Close enough to NOLA to visit when you get the urge. Has a LA\NOLA influence. Access to Biloxi Marsh.

·
Registered
512 Posts
South of Houma and charming don't normally collide in the same sentence. I need better access to activities, restaurants and grocery stores.
South of Houma means access to Houma restaurants and grocers without sacrificing the distance to fishing.
I've spent a few summers in south LA, and there are some places off 56 south of Houma I'd be willing to call my own.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a ton guys. Been looking at homes on Zillow south of Houma and there are some stunners for sure at fantastic prices. Population of Houma itself is a little over 30,000 which for me is the perfect sized town to have access to. Believe we will head over there and scope it out in person.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Thanks a ton guys. Been looking at homes on Zillow south of Houma and there are some stunners for sure at fantastic prices. Population of Houma itself is a little over 30,000 which for me is the perfect sized town to have access to. Believe we will head over there and scope it out in person.
Don't sleep on Thibodaux either, it's a massively underrated spot. Cool little college town. A litter further out but the right house might make that 45 minute trip to the ramp tolerable.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thibodaux is a great town, Chackbay is better! ahah. It all depends on how far you want to drive to the ramp. Im at 2 hrs to everywhere right now and it blows. (Gonzales) Thibodaux would be idea for me if work were closer. Houma starts getting into Hurricane issues if your not in the right spot.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All right guys. VRBO'd a place in Chauvin, arrive Feb 1 and staying till Feb 19. Really looking forward to checking this entire area out. Will be somewhat restricted as to where to fish as I have a Glide right now, but this is primarily about figuring out where to winter come October- and at that point I'll have a Vantage. Anyway, I can't thank you guys enough. Hope to see you on the water sometime.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You will have a Vantage by October? I will have an EVO by then. Maybe I will see down in Orlando.
Yep, very excited. Went back and forth between an EVO and a Vantage, but since I've got the Glide, and will likely end up in an area with lots of big water, decided on the Vantage. You getting an X or a V?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts