Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make a rear deck lid for my Gheenoe LT25 to cover the gas tank. Where can I buy a sheet of 1/2" starboard at?

I'm located in Houston, TX.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Amazon is a good place to purchase starboard. For Prime members there free shipping.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I see that they do. Did not read locations right. El Paso too. Don’t know your distance from them. They also sell scrap cheap. At least in Daytona location. You can pick up a pile of good size pieces on the right day cheap.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Are you making a deck out of starboard? Even if you're not going to be standing on it, I don't think starboard (or other HDPE/plastic sheet) has the structural properties you'd want without providing a bunch of structure under it. Have you considered plywood and a couple layers of fiberglass on each side? Or even 1/2" rigid insulation as the core with a couple of layers of glass & epoxy on each side if it's just a cover.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm sure one of the more technically experienced guys will kick in, but I don't think starboard is the right material. I'd go with 1/2" plywood with a couple layers of 1208 glass and epoxy on each side and seal it all up to completely encapsulate it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I gutted my old Gheenoe Highsider and putting in bulkheads and decks using foam core and 1208 with epoxy, but for your deck I'd just use plywood core unless you have a fiberglass supply place nearby that might have a scrap of Divinycell or similar foam core. Foam is VERY easy to work with. You can coat 1x2 fir in epoxy (two good coats) and bond it to each side of the well for your deck to sit on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Trying to do something like this but with starboard and seadek.

I'm sure one of the more technically experienced guys will kick in, but I don't think starboard is the right material. I'd go with 1/2" plywood with a couple layers of 1208 glass and epoxy on each side and seal it all up to completely encapsulate it.
I did something similar with Black Starboard. For the poling platform I used an old MX bike stand and bolted a starboard plate to the top. It is supported in the center 50% but alot is unsupported. The platform flexes a bit but has held up for 3 years now. I'll try to post some pics.

I also made decks for the gheenoe with the same material - we had a sheet of scrap left over from work. 3/4" Thickness. I supported with a milk crate for the rear deck and a pvc pipe frame for the front deck. Just make nice supports and the starboard works great - a bit heavy but they are easily removable which is a plus.

In my case I want the extra weight on the bow, but I would prefer to have the lighter weight of fiberglass on the rear deck and platform.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts