Where do I go (savannah/southern SC/golden isles) ... (NOT asking for spots)

Discussion in 'Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina' started by displaced trout, Apr 15, 2018.

1. displaced trout

displaced trout Active Member

So essentially the story is this: Im VERY new to saltwater fishing, but definitely an experienced fly fisherman. I've recently moved on down pretty far south, and I'm starting to get bored to death with bass ponds. I can figure out the "how to" of actually catching the fish, but I'm a little lost on where to fish. I'm a little ways north of Savannah, so the closer the better, but I can drive a little ways up and down the coast. The problem is I'm pretty limited in the boat department. I've got a buddy with a 14ft aluminum boat with a 9.9 merc and hes starting to come around to the idea of putting it in saltwater, I've got occasional access to kayaks, and I'm not above bank fishing.

What I'm basically asking for is this: where can I put in (boat ramp or kayak spot) and access fish without getting in any big water or running super far? I definitely am not asking anybody to burn their fishing spots, I'm definitely willing to put in the work to find my own fish. I'm just trying to do my best to not sink my boat, get lost at sea, get stuck in mud, etc.

Anyone got any suggestions for somebody who's starting to get pretty intimidated while staring at google maps all night?

flysalt060 likes this.
  2. WillW

WillW I Love microskiff.com!

Might post up in the fly section too

3. Dawhoo

Dawhoo Well-Known Member

Pull up SCDRNR or Georgia equivalent page and find the public boat landings. Compare boat lands to structures like oyster beds on google maps and should find some close spots.

Also look into a fishing map (I think called Top Spot or something like that)

4. displaced trout

I appreciate that. Ill check it out. I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly I'm looking at a lot of the time on google maps. scale, water depth, etc. are kind of tricky to judge. I went and checked out a spot that looked like id be able to wade across it easily. Looked pretty shallow and maybe 30 feet across or so. Couldn't have been more wrong. probably 150 yards across and definitely over head high. Unfortunately I'm far enough that I pretty much have to go down on weekends to check things out, I can't just run off to scout during the week so I'm sure it'll be a slow process.

5. Dawhoo

Dawhoo Well-Known Member

As it was for those before you as well.

6. eightwt

eightwt Well-Known Member

Might suggest looking for a local ff club. Also, check out any local fly shops. Sure there is one in Savannah. You'll figure out how to use aerials, there are tools for measuring distance and paths. As a retired forester, I've looked at thousands and believe me after correlating them to boots on the ground or waders in the mud, you'll learn. Remember that the zoom in/out will change the scale. Might suggest a GPS.

7. displaced trout

Yep, the people at Rivers and Glenn in Savannah have been pretty helpful so far.

Anyone want to clue me in a little bit on the water around Fort McAllister state park? once again, not asking for your hard earned fishing spots. but for example, If I was to plan a 2-4 day camping/fishing trip,late spring/early summer, would it be a waste of my time or might I have an opportunity to find a couple of fish?

8. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

There's a fly shop on the 200 block of Drayton in Savannah. You can also launch at the Skidaway road ramp and be on nice tailers within minutes. If you have access to the Landings subdivision, there are some monster drum (red and black) trapped in the salt ponds.

9. displaced trout

holy hell. looking at maps around the Skidaway ramp now. Looks like its covered in good habitat. Thanks so much for all the help everybody. If yall ever need some north georgia trout tips let me know.

10. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

Hope it helped. I'm a Savannah native and spent a lot of time fishing the area.