When We Left Earth - NASA Missions on Discovery

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by thresher, Jun 22, 2008.

1. thresher

thresher Well-Known Member

I have been really enjoying this series on Discovery and tonight is the last night. I heard that the last moon mission launch was watched by 500,000 folks in Titusville/Canaveral. Does anyone here remember this? I was too young and lived in Texas. Does anyone remember the president doing a parade when man first went into space? It was right here in little old central FL. Someone older than me pipe up! :)
    Thresh

2. Windsplitter

Windsplitter Well-Known Member

I was 9 and having too much fun riding my bike. but i think they should stop spending so much on the space program and make NASA find a
    better fuel source instead.

3. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

So many kids where skipping school to stay at home and watch the TV coverage that the teachers brought in their TV's to school to watch the coverage. the other day a freind at work was talking about how his family would drive over from Tampa to watch the launches. He said a shuttle launch is no big deal compared to the Apollo rockets, they looked like a sky scraper ripping itself from earth.

4. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

Think of all the lost jobs, they all can't build Gheenoe's.

5. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

That was a good series. I watched several of them. Although I can recall my parents watching the coverage on our one black and white, staticy, twist knob, full console TV, I was too young to really appreciate or understand what was going on. ::)

6. litlblusrn4bigred

litlblusrn4bigred Well-Known Member

next year their budget is 20.2 billion dollars and Bush is already signing the paper work. Why do we need a space center in space I will never understand it. More money should be spent on education IMHO. :-/