Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a 17' technical poling skiff most of the time, having tried nearly every other float craft there is. My journey was kayaks, then a pedal kayak, followed up a stand up paddleboard.

There is always good old fashion wading, but in my home waters (New England) I am always on the lookout for a better way to cover water when the skiff is an inconvenience or too time consuming.

Heres my list of qualms...

- Boat is a PIA to launch, retrieve, clean etc for only a quick trip
- Paddle kayaks are too difficult to fly fish out of effectively
- Peddle kayaks are efficient, but heavy and a bit bulky. They also provide another 50 things to tangle fly line on, and sight fishing is a no go
- SUP is hopeless with any wind at all

What is everyone running when they dont have a full day to fish, just a couple hours in a morning or evening? Hybrids like a Soloskiff have me intrigued, but only if they can be launched from non-traditional places like beaches etc. Ramps are awfully confining!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,259 Posts
I enjoy my SUP and canoe...but much prefer using the skiff to get to wade-able flats.

The flats boat and kayak were sold soon after I got into fly fishing.

·
Lip Ripper
1,717 Posts
Honestly I can hook up my skiff and launch it in about the same time as a kayak. We have pretty significant tidal swings here That make a full day of fishing unreasonable, so my typical fishing trip with hooking the boat up and tucking the boat away is about 5-6 hours

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just picked up an East cape Skanu with a 3.5 hp ob while I wait for my flats boat to be built. Sold my Hobie revolution pedal drive. I keep the Skanu on a wall sling in my garage with an electric lift winch. I load it onto the bed of my F150 for transport. I use a kayak cart to move it around.No trailer necessary. When I get home, I remove the motor, wash it off and lift it onto the wall.
Gets my to all my usual fly fishing spots in the lagoon. Now I can stand, pole and cast which I could not do on my kayak. The kayak cart allows me to launch anywhere I want.
JB

·
Registered
265 Posts
I like the kayak for getting way back into those spots that spots inaccessible for anything larger. Way back into the mangroves.

I also like it for getting into....uhh... less than legal areas in certain deep water Florida ports for snook.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Interesting to see I'm not the only one who has these issues. There are many times that the skiff is a pain in the ass to manage solo and I simply don't feel like cleaning it properly. A paddle craft has limitations in the wind and also range. I have been on the hunt for a small skiff and lucked into what I consider a perfect solo boat. I picked up the original billfish 14 which is all cored and probably only about 120 lbs. It's 14ft x 48 inch beam so it has a small narrow footprint which makes poling or paddling pretty easy. I will be hanging a 9.9 2 stroke on it and should be able to run about 20 mph which gives me the range of my normal skiff just not as quick

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,097 Posts
I have kayaks and canoes but I prefer a canoe for no-motor zones only. Otherwise the skiff for mobility. 6 minutes to clean at a car wash

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Also 14 foot flatback canoe. I can load and unload by myself it is an older fiberglass one.. I like to use it in a few creeks and always fun to float down the Peace river.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a kayak that mostly gathers dust and a 22' TE Pathfinder. The boats that I use the most are my Gheenoe LT25 and a 12' folding boat that is called a Porta-Bote. My favorite type of fishing is for inshore species and I use the LT25 because I can launch it just about anywhere with my Jeep. The LT25 is very light and easy for one person to manage. It is good for short trips or hauling long distances and is dirt cheap to run. If you buy used you can get most of your money back if you sell. I don't know your waters well in the NE but the Gheenoe is not an open water boat, I've taken it out in Florida with our winter northeasters but stay in protected waters. For areas that don't have ramps or when I pull my camper I use the folding boat with a 6 HP 4 stroke Suzuki. With one person the boats top cruising speed is 13.5 MPH on the GPS. The boat is very stable and seaworthy for its size. The downside is that it will take you 30 minutes to take it off the roof racks and get it set up and just about as much time to put everything back on the vehicle. My set up includes putting on rod holders, depth finder, and all the other fishing stuff. Just setting up the boat takes less than 4 minutes so if you don't take a lot of stuff your time would be shorter. I have videos of both boats in action on my Youtube Channel if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEjZ5fY6mO5BRKE_pq_g7jA

Thanks for starting the thread will be interesting to see what other people are doing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
22' Aquasport at the dock behind my house. Gets more use as the family SUV these days than as a fishing boat, the 15 Johnsen gets more slime in the Glades than the Aqua gets offshore anymore. But it's great to cruise Ft Lauderdale bars and restaurants at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Jon boats don’t get any love??? Used to love my SUP until I got chased by a (friendly or aggressive) gator depending on your point of view. He was bigger than the board.... 14 foot car topper jon is just as easy, won’t scratch and you can add a motor. Goes right into the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
We have 265 Edgewater that gets us around, we try to spend night on her monthly, Useppa, Captiva, Cayo Costa...having an Ankona built for fishing estero bay skinny water, my solo days, and when the tides just dont cooperate for the bigger boat!

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
600 Posts
Jon boats don’t get any love??? Used to love my SUP until I got chased by a (friendly or aggressive) gator depending on your point of view. He was bigger than the board.... 14 foot car topper jon is just as easy, won’t scratch and you can add a motor. Goes right into the bed of the truck.
That’s my suggestion, but you need to stick with one of the lightweight models and keep it simple. I can carry my 14’ by myself, though I wouldn’t want to do it very far. I don’t think I’ve ever washed mine unless it ends of full of mud.

A lot of guys these days have a quick release remote trolling motor on their primary skiff, so an extra puck and cheap battery are all you need to power the jon boat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Interesting to see I'm not the only one who has these issues. There are many times that the skiff is a pain in the ass to manage solo and I simply don't feel like cleaning it properly. A paddle craft has limitations in the wind and also range. I have been on the hunt for a small skiff and lucked into what I consider a perfect solo boat. I picked up the original billfish 14 which is all cored and probably only about 120 lbs. It's 14ft x 48 inch beam so it has a small narrow footprint which makes poling or paddling pretty easy. I will be hanging a 9.9 2 stroke on it and should be able to run about 20 mph which gives me the range of my normal skiff just not as quick
Man that's a cool little rig!

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Man that's a cool little rig!
The footprint is in the same ballpark as a nano / skate and just a hair bigger than the ambush and solo skiff with higher gunnels. The chine is under water for the most part which is good for minimizing hull slap. I'm really excited to get it setup. Been working on redoing the bunks and bow support on the trailer this past weekend. I plan on leaving it pretty simple. Working on getting a 9.9 2 stroke.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts