Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For butt sections and making tapered leaders? Getting sick of Rio saltwater mono that keeps breaking trying to seat blood knots.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,244 Posts
Seaguar Blue.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use mason hard mono for my homemade tapered leaders. You can buy convenient 10 yard coils from Bass Pro's website for only $2-3 each. I then use Seaguar flouro for the tippet. Lately however I have been using more store bought leaders for general purpose redfish, its nice not having 3-5 blood knots to catch grass.

·
Registered
59 Posts
… ditto ZaneD … for permit I use Rio knotless mono leaders with a Seaguar Blue tippet, connected with a handshake loop … though for tarpon, leaders are knotted …

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mason for leaders/buts than Seaguar ACE for shock tippet or Seaguar Grand Max FX for light (bonefish) tippet.
For normal size bonefeish flies ready knotless leaders (SA hard, RIO hard, VArivas Salt, Umpqua..) are fine (+ Grand Max FX tippet)

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Ande premium is the standard mono.... For tarpon fishing I like the Ande for butt sections, hard Mason for tippets, and fluoro for bite (or shock) tippets...

Back when I used to tie up my own tapered leaders for bonefish (back in the Stone Age....) every last bit of any tapered leader was Ande (but that was years before fluoro came available...

·
Registered
804 Posts
A few store bought leaders should last a long time. You spend all that money on skiff, truck, gas, fly rods and reels and then are going to hand tie leaders? Grab a few 9ft tapered leaders, add some FC tippet and fish. I hand tie a few specialty leaders I want for what I am throwing but a knotless leaders here in the grass is a beautiful thing.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Remember guys, he's asking about mono, not fluorocarbon or mason or hard mono.

For me, it's Momoi, Silverthread, P-line and I'll even use The Triplefish mono in those large diameter spools for leader material. Again, I'm only using mono or mason for leader materials for the butt section of floating leaders for surface or subsurface flies and even then, using fluorocarbon for tippet and bite leader. But for subsurface to sinking flies, I'm using all fluorocarbon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
agreed, but his question was also linked to what we use to make knotted leaders, opening the scope. In my case, I linked my materials - which is mono and fc.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
About those “hand-tied leaders”... There actually was a time when that was all that was available in the marketplace. Guess I’ve been around a long time (my first job in a tackle shop was in 1972...).

·
Registered
264 Posts
I mostly use Ande for for everything but the tippet. Usually use Seaguar or SA fc for tippet. I do not like Rio hard mono at all but I do like Rio Bass for mono tippet. Ande knots really well and stretches well too. For some reason I just don’t trust it for tippet strength even though I’ve never had a problem and generally fish on the heavy side. If I’m going for gold I test my leaders anyway and never had Ande fail much under predicted knot strength.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,211 Posts
I’m currently using mostly fluoro for it all but either fluoro or mono leaders I’m running Ande.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts