Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok all, I thought I'd start a fun thread for everyone here. The theme of the thread if to see what everyone's all-time best flies are, their absolute most reliable go-to flies you use to scout with since you know you have the best luck with them. Mainly inshore saltwater fly fishing, but freshwater and offshore flies are also welcome. If you are normally a lurker or just reply occasionally, we really want to hear from you. From the lower western Gulf Coast TX, through MS, the LA Bayous, wrapping around Florida and up the East Coast to NC and beyond!

Again, your best 3 all time go-to flies and describe for what specie, time of year, conditions and a little bit about the fly and how you work it! If you see someone else post the same fly, still post yours too since we want to see what you also like! Please comment on any fly you like or want to give feedback on! If you purchased them, where did you purchased them from or a source to buy them. If you tie or tied them, please comment on materials used or any twist, spin on it or variations of that fly you do with it on the vise. This information will be a great source for fly fishermen to know where to purchase them or for tiers, what materials to use.

I believe this will give the newer members and new to fly fishing a great head start on what flies they need or need to pick up to start being productive. Or new to fly tying, it would be patterns they need to start learning to tie for themselves, to start being productive. Heck, some of us guys that have been in it for a while might also want a new trick in our fly box when the fish are laughing and flicking birds at our go-to flies! LOL

No pretty froo froo flies that you're not sure if they work or not! o_O We're not talking about your 3 favorite flies that you love and have a romance with. We want the 3 "best" flies that simply work! We are talking about your real pickup truck style work horse flies that bang the fish out!!! We don't care how ugly they are, how simple they are, if they look like alien food or whatever. It's not a beauty contest, only the fact that they work, catch fish and work really great! We don't care if that's what you use to target ladyfish or freight train size redfish, from spotted sea trout, flounder, snook, jacks, macks, bass, it doesn't matter! Just if it's the best and your little secret weapon to go bend that rod immediately and for your favorite fun fish! :D

PICS PLEASE if possible! If not, name the fly and describe it. No fancy pics needed! Just pic the thing up, shoot a pic with your cell phone and post it! We don't care if there are 20 others posted just like it! Just show us what YOUR best ones are, regardless! ;) Hey, we all know that there will be a lot of chartreuse and white clousers, etc, etc.... Who cares, just show us or tell us!

We are looking for all active and non-active members on the fly board to participate!

If you are worried about getting credit for your unique original fly, then consider this thread as being published! It's time and date stamped and feel free to tag your name to it. We will later refer to and give your credit for it. We are all ladies and gentlemen here! Oh and, let's here from you ladies too!

If you want to purchase some of the flies where there is no source available (especially if it is a unique fly they tied), you could PM that person and work out some sort of deal for a few or them.

Hold no secrets back and go for it! Your 3 best flies! ;)

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Don't worry, I'm working on mine! ;) So many flies..... :eek:

Hey Btw, we need all our fly swap guys to participate too! Don't forget the guides and Captains as well! From newbies to ole timers, all are welcome to show your stuff!

·
Registered
48 Posts
If I had only one fly to use it'd be an everglades special. If I'm back home in Jupiter, Fl and using a fly rod its either chucking flies into the mangroves for snook and small tarpon or a couple ponds I have found with snook reds and poons. The waters pretty stained in both places so the ep works well. I've caught a bit of everything on it. Reds, snook, tarpon to 30lbs, ladyfish, jacks, snapper, small goliaths, peacocks and largemouths, crappie, and even the only sheepie I've landed on fly.

My go to up here in Jax is what I call the cha cha slide.

I was shown a variation of this by the guys at Blackfly. I use psuedo hair as the tail a pair of sili legs and tarantula brush for the body. I keep a ton of these in my lowtide redfish box in black and purple, tan, and purple and tan as pictured. Always on a #4 daichi 2546 with med beadchain eyes. Lands very soft and with the legs and brush has a lot of movement. If I put this where it needs to be and little ticks with a short pause in between it gets ate almost everytime for backing and busting reds. I've also tied it with either finn raccoon or rabbit strip as the tail and uv polar chenille as the body for the big spooky schools in the winter since you can let it sit but still moves a lot.

Last one is the only fly I carry besides a gurgler for tailers in the grass.

Called the bacon bit since Austin Bacon at Blackfly came up with it. I tie it with a ball of estaz at the back to splay out the rabbit strips a bit more and sometimes throw in mono eyes. Austin just uses polar chenille, rubber legs, rabbit strips for claws, tarantula brush, and of course a weed guard. X-small lead eyes so it doesn't hit the water too hard but I'll use sm or med eyes later in the tailing season as the grass seeds so it gets down to the fish rather than hangs up on the grass. I use a sl12s #2, it was originally tied on a #6 b10s but after people complained about breaking hooks Austin uses #4 2546's. I strip it long and slow and also works for sheepies in the grass although I can never get those bastards to eat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,290 Posts
If I had only one fly to use it'd be an everglades special. If I'm back home in Jupiter, Fl and using a fly rod its either chucking flies into the mangroves for snook and small tarpon or a couple ponds I have found with snook reds and poons. The waters pretty stained in both places so the ep works well. I've caught a bit of everything on it. Reds, snook, tarpon to 30lbs, ladyfish, jacks, snapper, small goliaths, peacocks and largemouths, crappie, and even the only sheepie I've landed on fly.

Your flies would work on Texas reds and speckled trout. Thanks for sharing.

I was shown a variation of this by the guys at Blackfly. I use psuedo hair as the tail a pair of sili legs and tarantula brush for the body. I keep a ton of these in my lowtide redfish box in black and purple, tan, and purple and tan as pictured. Always on a #4 daichi 2546 with med beadchain eyes. Lands very soft and with the legs and brush has a lot of movement. If I put this where it needs to be and little ticks with a short pause in between it gets ate almost everytime for backing and busting reds. I've also tied it with either finn raccoon or rabbit strip as the tail and uv polar chenille as the body for the big spooky schools in the winter since you can let it sit but still moves a lot.

Called the bacon bit since Austin Bacon at Blackfly came up with it. I tie it with a ball of estaz at the back to splay out the rabbit strips a bit more and sometimes throw in mono eyes. Austin just uses polar chenille, rubber legs, rabbit strips for claws, tarantula brush, and of course a weed guard. X-small lead eyes so it doesn't hit the water too hard but I'll use sm or med eyes later in the tailing season as the grass seeds so it gets down to the fish rather than hangs up on the grass. I use a sl12s #2, it was originally tied on a #6 b10s but after people complained about breaking hooks Austin uses #4 2546's. I strip it long and slow and also works for sheepies in the grass although I can never get those bastards to eat.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
LOL..... No one wants to show their deep dark secret little weapons, when no one's lookin! :eek: I know it's tough! LOL

Remember people, this is more to help out the guys just getting started. But experienced or inexperienced, let's see what cha got! It'll be fun and a good way to give back to our fly community on this board!

Don't worry if you think they might catch all the fish out of your spots with all the best flies out there. If all the fly fishermen got out there and fly fished with the absolute best flies, all at the same time, it probably wouldn't add up to about 2% of what the live bait slingers catch in a day. ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
1.Clouser Minnow Chartreuse over White
2.Deer Hair Slider Red head with white rabbit strip tail
3.EP Peanut butter black and purple

I really wish when they upgraded the site they has made posting photos easier.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1.Clouser Minnow Chartreuse over White
2.Deer Hair Slider Red head with white rabbit strip tail
3.EP Peanut butter black and purple

I really wish when they upgraded the site they has made posting photos easier.
Just set up a photobucket account and upload them on there. Pics should be resized to 400 - 600 dpi wide. Then you can copy the IMG image and paste in your reply or post.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,421 Posts
Back
I've got my 3 and will take pictures. This is a good idea if they read the d.... rules

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,421 Posts

Not everyone on here knows what an everglades special is or for that mater a ep

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,421 Posts
These 3 fly have caught fish by me or guides in the Keys that I gave flies

1. Super Toad Tarpon fly. Yarn body, rubber band legs, rabbit and marabou tail

2. Bone fish fly T...Buggy Shrimp Yarn body with grizzly hackle, mono eyes, crystal flash antenna. You need to clip the palmered hackle on the bottom of the fly to allow it to sit upright

3. Merkin Crab, Permit Fly. Yarn body with rubber band legs, Marabou and Kristal Flash

Fly #1 and 2 are my creations. I have not caught a Tarpon on the #1 fly but guides have. Maybe this year will be the Year:(
#3 is my go to permit fly but I have caught Bonefish on them
The #2 fly I have never put it on the internet but Lefy put it in his book years ago

My flies aren't pretty but they catch fish
These are cell phone photos

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,421 Posts
@permitchaser what knot is that on the toad fly? Can't tie a knot, tie a lot? :)
It came from my stretcher box all rigged up. It's a loop knot on 80 lb. bite leader. Tie a small loop in your leader the feed the tag end through the hook eye. Then tie a knot in the tag end and push that through your loop then pull the loop closed tight. The knot in the end then stops at the closed loop. I'll see if I can find it on the inter net

·
"I got to stop wishin'. I've got to go fishin
475 Posts
My go to because what doesn't eat a shrimp?

Love this guy on the beach

The first fly many of us learned to tie and I still keep coming back to it. This is my favorite variation btw.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Knothome, I had a feeling that shrimp pattern would pop up! Those things are just crazy cool! Where's my cocktail sauce? Ha!

Thanks for sharing the other 2 flies. It's good to see you can also break out a normal flie too as your go-to fly. ;)

coconutgroves, that looks like a Lefty Krey knot.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
653 Posts

The first fly many of us learned to tie and I still keep coming back to it. This is my favorite variation btw.
Knot, where can I get that shrimp recipe?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts

Those shrimp look incredible! I would eat them!!

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,421 Posts

Knot
I can tell most of the material you used but a recipe might be handy. It appears like you tie a lot because their not sturdy

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,421 Posts
Knothome, I had a feeling that shrimp pattern would pop up! Those things are just crazy cool! Where's my cocktail sauce? Ha!

Thanks for sharing the other 2 flies. It's good to see you can also break out a normal flie too as your go-to fly. ;)

coconutgroves, that looks like a Lefty Krey knot.
Back your right, as usual, I got the knot out of Lefty's 1986 book Fly Fishing In Saltwater. It may also be called an Arbor Knot

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
Lefty's loop knot and the arbor knot are totally different animals, the knot described sounds like an arbor knot, and in the heavy bite tippet knot strength isn't important, conversely the loop knot aproaches 100% strength if properly tied according to Lefty's instructions.
JC

1 - 20 of 161 Posts